Oil pan gasket, so far so good

Ok, so I got the CJ back together and it seems to be leak free so far! I got the block and oil pan really clean, and put on a one piece gasket with no rtv. This is the third time I've had the oil pan off in the last few months. The other two times I used a one piece gasket and tried various rtv techniques. This time I decided to go dry. Anyway I cleaned the pan really good this time and painted the back of it with por-15, and rustoleum. I used a gloss top coat which looks kinda strange, but after its covered with mud it will look ok :) I also changed the motor mount with a new rubber job -- the old one was toast. Gotta get the new rear shackles on tomorrow, and then I will be done until next week when my new poly tranny mount and superwinch hubs come in.

Reply to
Sleestak

A figured out a good way to hold the pan on the block too. I wrapped a couple of large nails with duck tape and jamed them in the corner holes. That allowed me to slide the oil pan on over the bolts -- too make sure that the rear part of the gasket was seated in the bearing cap -- start some of the scews, and then pull the nails out.

Reply to
Sleestak

I just read this post. What I meant was a good wat to hold the gasket on the block.

Reply to
Sleestak