Is an Alfa 156 a really bad idea?

I just noticed how cheap the twin spark 156s have become both on Autotrader and ebarf and I'm quite tempted to get one as a way of filling the four-seater shaped hole in my fleet.

So, what does the panel say - bad idea?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Mr H will be along shortly to tell you how awesome they are. The rest of us will say "What's the point when you can get something just as good that doesn't need the oil topping up with every fuel fill" :-)

Reply to
DanB

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

you can get something that handles better, more reliable and IMO better looking for the same money. i do like the inside of the alfa's mind but i'd never buy one!

Reply to
Vamp

It's wrong wheel drive, isn't it? So it clearly doesn't handle properly anyway ;)

Well, I've had a few and I generally liked the older ones. At the moment I can't really make up my mind between buying something old, tax exempt and suitably big to carry four people and more importantly, some luggage, or if I buy another throw-away car instead.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

To give the 156 some credit, they handle very well for something wrong wheel drive. I was driving a Momo leathered JTD Estate the other day and it was quite a nice thing. Turning circle is similar to Mrs Thatchers though.

Get something else.

Reply to
Pete M

Front drive turning circles suck though. To be fair to it the 156 is probably the best alfa of its time, and not much money. If you can bear the constant maintenance and care it's a good car.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd probably avoid one just because of the stupid clutch slave cylinder. Notorious for popping, but instead of being on the outside of the 'box like on the 155, they put it inside the bloody 'box casing.

Well, that and the variator issues.

Reply to
Pete M

OK, just don't buy a cheap one.

If you're buying one, spend proper money on one that has only one or two owners and a comprehensive service history.

Bonus points for owners who are as paranoid as me and have had the cambelt done early and spent the cash on overhauling the suspension so it drives like it should.

Most cheap ones will have been owned by tightwads who ignore belt changes, never check the oil and can't afford to have suspension arms / bushes changed.

JTDs are a very good choice, if you can afford the extra as they're pretty bomb proof.

Ours was bought with 108k on it, we've done just over 20k miles in just under 3 years in ours with no breakdowns.

Last year's MOT was a bit tricky, needed a new catalyst and lambda an a bit of fiddling to stop the air-con compressor causing spikes in the revs and causing it to fail the MOT emissions. Sorted, services and MOT'd for around £250, though.

Great cars, I love ours, but you really don't want to entertain a cheap one.

Reply to
SteveH

The variator issues that don't happen if you change it every other cambelt change?

Reply to
SteveH

Heh. I've walked away from several 155s due to variator rattle.

So long as you budget for one every 72k miles, they tend not to be an issue. Ours was done on the last but one belt change, so it'll be another 3 years before it needs doing again.

We had a full service, incl. belts and tensioner change and MOT done for around £380 recently - so they're not even that expensive to run.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup. Those ones.

Reply to
Pete M

Ok, forget about that one then. If I buy another car that prevents me from downsizing the fleet, it *has* to be cheap.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

If my brother was looking for a car right now, I would recommend a 156 like I always do. Just so I could get shots in it, not that I would buy one myself.

I've done plenty of Italian National Service in various Fiats, Alfas and Lancias - it's someone else's turn.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That is the thing that stunned me with the 9000. The 900 turned like a london cab. The Celsior was great for a huge barge. But the saab really needs to be worked for the 3 points.

Reply to
Elder

You all have no idea how easy you have it.

Reply to
DanB

Surely you just apply lock and boot the throttle?

Reply to
SteveH

If I was in the market for a pretty Fiat Tipo, yea, it would probably be at the top of my list.

{runs}

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Doesn't really work like you'd imagine. Something to do with the weight distribution...

Reply to
DanB

Presumably you need a bit of a run up and some brake jabbage?

I haven't tried it in the Mazda...

Off to Production Car Trials tomorrow though. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne