[OT] More Free Computers

Hmm, I've just bagged a Silicone Graphics Indigo offa my local Freecycle group. Apparently works, but the BIOS battery holder is missing so it loses the BIOS info every time it is switched off.Should be able to solder a new one on...

Reply to
Abo

What are you going to do with it?!

Reply to
conkersack

From my experience of them, they're pretty inefficient office heaters.

Reply to
SteveH

Lol. TBH I just want to have a go at fixing it. There are actually two base units, the other won't boot at all so I thought I'd have a go at getting one to work. I haven't actually worked out what to do with it yet...

Reply to
Abo

Server or something?

Reply to
conkersack

Well, two gives you the ability to put a plank on top and make a desk...

Reply to
Clive George

Lol

Reply to
Abo

Don't really need one for anything. I've got a HD enclosure attached to my router so e.g. my music and video files are shared between this desktop and the laptop I'm using as a media PC (attached to the telly and hifi) and it does the job nicely.

I wonder if my son's nursery might be interested in a Linux machine..?

Reply to
Abo

I took 2 and a bit of them down the local tip not long ago, along with a Sparc 330.

The Sparc chucked out silly amounts of heat and sounded like an airliner taking off.

Reply to
SteveH

"Need"? Pfff!

How modern is this thing? Could you, for instance, record video on it? If so, what about a home security type thing?

Reply to
conkersack

Abo

You'd be lucky to run Tetris on that! ;-)

Reply to
conkersack

I've got my feet on it at the minute...

Reply to
Abo

Toasty.

Reply to
SteveH

If it has a hardware 3d card it will play a few of the early openGL games.

Reply to
Elder