Re: "So Much for the Ultimate Driving Machine"

Seen the new Rover advert yet ?

> *very* naughty of them doing something like that, funny as f*ck tho :) >

The one in reference to this

?

> -- > Lordy
Reply to
Jamesy

or alternatively they were just showing how much more you get for your money...

Reply to
Andy Connolly

They forgot to publish the retained value figures after three years though......

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

But not show you the comparison on secondhand prices after a month or any number of years? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

And reliability. Don't know about current Rover but 5 years ago Rover were down with Alfa, Citroen, Renault, Ford and Vauxhall in the bottom

6 makes out of 23. BMW were 3rd best. Works out on average around one breakdown per 3 years for the Rover and one every 12 years for the BMW. Industry average for breakdowns is one every 4 years, only the bottom 6 makes do worse than industry average.

Peter Hill

yup :) it just says people prefer the rover over the bmw and I thought they were ripping off that cat food advert who's name I can't remember now pampers?

Reply to
dojj

BMW haven't been anything other than 'average' at best for a long time, mostly due to all their electronic trickery. iDrive, with it's frequent crashes and failures, has certainly not made that position any better.

Reply to
Lordy

Erm, but you're used to the 620ti, though! The R75 has a different character, completely - and just over half the power of your car, plus rather more weight. It's often critised for being the softy of the sector - i.e. it has a better ride at the expense of grip and handling - but 99% of the public don't actually need a car that has such good handling, but appreciate the ride. The Rover 75 is also, to be technical, bloody quiet and refined.

The MG ZT is a "sharpened" version of the Rover 75, and is supposed to handle better but at the expense of the ride - but I've never tried one!

Reply to
DervMan

pampers/whiskas, they sound the same don't they :)

Reply to
dojj

I'm not sending you shopping for Cat Food; don't suppose anyone with a baby would either...

Reply to
Phil Howard

LOL!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Cat food doesn't taste too bad, and providing I got a litter tray for the baby, job's a good 'un! :)

Reply to
DervMan

I checked out the 2.5 auto before buying the BMW and I'd say the same. It had poorer step off from rest than my E34 525 which I regarded as poor. Ok when you got it revving, but then so was the BMW. Totally wrong in both cases for a 'luxury' auto.

BMW addressed the problem with a larger engine and VANOS (528). The 75 is still as bad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I read several BMW groups and this hasn't been reported there. Coil failure on any BMW isn't a common occurrence. Why probably the same units fitted to VAG products should give problems I've no idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I know, but it felt like a 1400cc :)

That's another thing I wasn't impressed with. People always go on about how quiet the 75 is, but the one I tried wasn't anything special. Again, I think someone said that may have been *because* it was the 1.8 tho.

I suppose I could be tempted into one of those rear wheel ZT390 (?) things ;)

Reply to
Lordy

Heh - probably wouldn't be much slower with the 1.4 litre 16v K-series, either - the 1.8 "atmo" has 118 PS whereas the 1.4 has around 104 PS (depending on the tune).

Quite possibly. The entry level 1.8 is very much the poor model of the range - I've heard and read that it has less sound insulation as well as the lower powered engine. The diesels have more sound insulation, and are very refined.

Heh! Couldn't we all.

To appreciate how quiet and refined even the entry level one is, though, swap your 620ti for something like a Panda or Cinquecento for the week before . . . :)

Reply to
DervMan

But my 620 is noisy as fk too tho. I have a slightly open window due to a twisted window regulator (of which I'm looking for a replacement if anyone has one !), above 80 you can't hear yourself think :(

Plus there's the Mongoose, but I've only got myself to blame for that one (and it's not exactly a bad noise anyway, heh).

Reply to
Lordy

DervMan raved thus:

:: Cat food doesn't taste too bad,

Does it taste of mouse?

Abo

Reply to
Abo

It might . . . but I've never eaten mouse (and known about it, heh, clearly one never knows what's in the kebab / Chinese that you have at three in the morning).

Reply to
DervMan

Rats are easier to come by.

Reply to