Very OT: Engine transplant question (car related)

R1, or if feeling flush zx-14/zx-10

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Fireplace. Guaranteed not to blow up.

Reply to
SteveH

There's a lovely marble one in pieces in the garage here.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Pete M" wrote in message news:onDLg.2737$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

That works for me too. I know (of) someone with an SP1 motor in his light mid engined car, my old next door neighbour had a beefy sounding TL1000 and the machining type person that I occasionaly use has an SP1 still in the bike. Duke stylee V twins sound like the hammer of Thor after a night on the sauce (or something like that) That could be good. I think I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Too fragile, those Duke lumps.

Cambelt every 6k miles.... no thanks.

How about a Honda V4?

Reply to
SteveH

Honda S2000 engines will kick out 200 horsepower pretty much standard, and

240 isn't meant to be a lot of work according to an old CCC I read today. Proper gearbox too.
Reply to
Doki

I'd hope 240 wasn't a lot of work seen as though they have 237 as standard iirc....

Reply to
DanTXD

But they are STRONG. A turbo/nitrous engine can do 350 to 400 bhp with stock everything other than clutch.

The watercoolers are weak. They rev more too, less torque and need more mods. The lower reving oil coolers are still the top drag bike motor. They use wider gears, stiffer cases, etc. In a car they are a better bet. Nothing stopping you fitting either an aftermarket efi or one from a busa or whatever though.

Cooling no prob. Just use a big oil cooler. As big as a normal radiator. Or two stock bike ones?

Its the way to go.

Reply to
Burgerman

All torqueless revmonsters low down with weak computer designed (for a specific job) cases and gearboxes...

Reply to
Burgerman

Fireplace engines are typical honda. Great at their job but lean on one and they break. Ever wondered why every drag strip refugee is a suzuki?

Reply to
Burgerman

Why do you like hondas? The serious power world of drag hates them! They always go home in many bits!

Reply to
Burgerman

We're not talking about drag racing, though.

Reply to
SteveH

They are pretty cheap to buy used, most are shagged ;) hence why they are disposable, have about 12 moving parts in the whole engine so pretty simple. Very tiny too.

Biggest problem is, they require knowledge and tight tolerance to be rebuilt properly, and because they don't involve reciprocating lumps of metal, most mechanics never learnt that knowledge, so those that did can charge for it.

Reply to
Elder

Just get one from the wreckers and wipe the blood off. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

True. You are talking circuit racing where the engine gets thrashed for much longer periods of time.....

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah. Anyway, I should have read previous posts. Apparently they won't fit.

Zetec or Duratec? There's plenty about and they're cheap.

Reply to
Doki

Good advice! You will find very, very recent bike engines ranging from semi- pristine to completely mangeld at the wreckers for a fifth to a tenth of their official value.

Be sure however to get a complete engine: block, inlet, airbox, wiring, CDI's and dash. Everything you get at the wrecker is cheap, which won't be the case at the dealer.

Ebay and alikes are also a good source and most of the time the bits are cleaned and taken out of the wreck.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

But, crucially, not an engine that's been fitted with silly turbos / nitrous injection etc. and designed to last about 15 seconds....

Where the Fireplace engine does score is loads of flexibility, decent power and completely bulletproof out of the crate / bike.

Reply to
SteveH

What about an alloy 1.9 16v Pug Mi16 engine? Are they too big? Or an older

1.6 Vti Civic engine, one of the 160bhp ones? Or of course, a redtop Vx motor.
Reply to
DanTXD

"SteveH" wrote in message news:1hlav31.o56l5b16rpvu9N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk...

But not much power compared to a Suzuki 1100 and especially at the low and mid end where it matters in a heavier vehicle. Hondas build great motors engineered and built to deliver exactly what was intended. Nothing in reserve though. The gearbox for eg is much more fragile and with a heavier vehicle or stickier tyres they break. Suzukis main market in the US came from their original forsight and to a large degree it still does. Every loony there goes drag racing at the weekends. Street bike racing is / was very popular. So their 16 valve et, eg, ef, etc and the katana 1100s etc all were built with abuse and extra strength in mind. The EFE 1100 for eg came as stock with seriously stiff cases, gears about twice as wide as needed, steel roller bearing crank and rods, forged pistons etc. Complete overkill for the 100 bhp that stock bikes were putting out then! But at the strip every man and his dog saw them clean up and not break. All the rest broke when leaned on. Especially the paired down carefully engineered hondas. They all went home in bin liners while the suzukis were bomb proof, even turboed and nitrous assisted. And because of this they sold like no other. Suzukis are still the engine with more in reserve for abuse even now in the days of water cooling and light weight. But less so. The best engines for car use are the less highly tuned and tougher oil cooled GSXR 1100 motors. Somewhere in between the old EF and the water cooled ones. They have more low down power as well as better stronger gearboxes etc. They also have straight cut primary gears and other things that are benefitcial for strength. Like heavier gears, cases and stuff.

Reply to
Burgerman