Engine transplant

I have a 68' "westy" and plan on pulling the engine soon. I have never owned a bus before so I don't know about the rear engine mount. I have two replacement motors to choose from for the transplant. Are the rear mounts adaptable to any or do you need special parts or modify the case?

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

The engine should have three mounting points in the area of the caSe around the oil pump IRC.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Look at the rear mount; it bolts to tapped holes in the case. The other cases may have the bosses cast in, which you could tap (with some care).

Careful of the clutch pressure plate issue; your '68 has the early throwout bearing and the pressure plate must match.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the info guys. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I have a 68 bus engine. It has a 12 volt flyweel, a 180mm clutch and an early release bearing...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Yes, that's correct. My point was, if he puts in say a '73 Beetle engine, it will have the "wrong" pressure plate on it and won't match his tranny. It's an easy thing to overlook when dragging an old engine out of storage for a swap. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Saw an engine adapter for type II installs last night in jcw for 13.00. What is the down side to using the easy way? Will it not hold or hurt the case? Has anyone used a rear mount adapter with good results?

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik