yanky V8's and insuring a US yank tank?

considering parting withthe MR2 in august for something cheap and cheerful like a Honda accord or something jap, reliable and comfy, lexus LS400 is probably not gonna save any pennies so that's out the window hehe.

anyway would love a second 'fun' car as my licence being dirtier that dirty diana in that Michael Jackson song insurance might be a bit harsh. anyway could get together £5-6k for something american this time, something big, heavy, built to cruise rather than race and something that'll be ok running on normal unleaded for a change is also a bonus! would love a noisey V8 so i can cruise and hear it rumble away on a nice stretch of road rather than something that roars when it hits 119mph for example and makes me feel the need to race every chav that tries :)

so yank tanks, what are my option bare in mind i know as much about US cars as that Rob guy knows about the term 'why don't you just f*ck off' :)

Reply to
Vamp

I can't even begin with this one. Wanting an American car is kinda like wanting a woman. You need to be a little more specific, otherwise you're going to end up with something expensive to run, bigger than you ever imagined, and really rather ugly.

TransAms and the like are crap. Anything mid 80s is crap. Anything made by GM is almost certainly going to be crap. Most V8s of the 80s have power outputs that would make a Brabus Smart look impressive and economy that makes the average SUV look economical.

However, there's one hell of a lot of fun to be had running something like my old 1982 Eldorado. It's a pimpmobile.

What, then, do you want? Convertible? Sporty or classy? Unusual or stereotypical?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Sod that, for £6k you could get a lovely Alfa Spider. Like the one in 'The Graduate'.

YKIMS.

Reply to
SteveH

And, he'd also be able to pull bored housewives with it, by driving down leafy backroads whilst listening to Simon & Garfunkel. Score!

Richard (more often found driving around in shades and leather jacket, in the Supra, listening to Demolition Man (film, not Police version) and chuckling - the track sounds all angry and intimidating, but the lyrics are basically about being the kind of screwup who has everything they touch fall apart in life).

(Except lately I've been enjoying Kelly Osbourne's "Fade to Grey". Or was it Visage's "One Word". Can't tell).

Reply to
RichardK

hmmm i'm not sure, wanted a 60's mustang but that costs loads, something that looks pimp though, like a Lincoln Continental :)

sporty-ish and convertible, so many yank tanks i can't decide plus because of that i run the risk of grabbing some right old shit, has to have a V8 and sound the nuts mind!

Reply to
Vamp

If you promise not to break it - and I assure you I will kill you if you do, because it's one of my dream cars - there is a 1976 Eldorado in white, for £5,995, on Autotrader. Convertible, FWD (they handle well, I assure you) and perhaps has the 8.2 litre V8 - I can't remember which engine they would default to but the 500ci was an option.

Mustang - someone was selling a grotty looking but amusing '71 on the car groups the other day for £4K, otherwise, I know where there is a tidy 302ci '67 GT hardtop in white for £14K.

I think for your requirements, you're going to struggle. Anything really good - 'cuda, Mustang or the like - is going to blow your budget.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

yeah i know! mint '67 mustang in florida where my cousin girlfriend lives for sale, forget the price but when i worked out all the shipping ect it came to well over £12k my budget is fine for anything jap, US cars seem a bit higher priced sadly :(

i just want to hear a nice lazy V8, arm resting on window growling away at

60mph and watch the other nuts get caught at silly speed. something that handles badly past 70mph to keep me slow would be nice hehe :)
Reply to
Vamp

hmm what about a '77 trans am? one on auto trader i see, can i get a yeeeeeee haaaaaaaar (smokey and the bandit style) :) hmmm maybe not then

Reply to
Vamp

Easy. You don't even need a yank tank.

Get yourself a Triumph Stag. V8, convertible, handles (relatively speaking) badly (in fact, they're supposedly alright for their era). £6K will get you one that isn't bad - being yourself, I'd go for one that has had the peculiarities of the V8 ironed out rather than mint bodywork, but £6K would probably get a really tidy Rover V8 bastardis.. I mean, transplanted one.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

mmmm 5-6k eh????????

how bouts a nice multi area season ticket for the bus

kidding m8 :)

dont go Yank tho :( booo hiss

5-6k and your talking tidy german motors :)

merc 190 cosworth E30 318is both with change

something sporty enough that you wont end up in the clink and that sort of cool factor that people in the know respect

Reply to
Rob

but it's a) a triumph and not the size of a small house :)

i was thinking more

or

now that's a big V8 and stupidly long! although it does have to fit the garage which i kinda forgot :)

Reply to
Vamp

Here's a 'nice' Mustang for you,

Or a Camaro,

ThePunisher

'67 GT Hardtop is most definately spaff worthy.

Reply to
DanTXD

That seems awfully cheap - i could put that on my credit card...

Reply to
DanTXD

They're big enough...

Mmm, couple of nice cars there. The Grand Prix is more my kind of thing, the Bonneville is only 18.5ft long. My Cadillac was longer.

Hell, my gf used to drive a 24ft long Cadillac Hearse. With the 8.2 engine.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

You find me a tidyish 318iS for circa a grand and i'd love you enough to leave this newsgroup :)

nope not guilty my old mans the beemer fan and yup he did have a 318is albeit E36

my only Bmw experience was a rather naff 4 pot E30 quite a few years ago now

why not just buy an SD1 and save going through the hassle of having the engine you want in an even worse car?

Reply to
Rob

Nope no need dont see the point on wasting good punctuation.

Easy :)

it doesn't

who said anything about having to fit his requirements it were just a suggestion

surprised your not trying to convince him to buy onf of those Ferrari V8 engined Lancia Thema things. are there any left at all??????????????????

VAMP- if you want someone completely huge and with a engine with a bigger cc than most hot-hatch boots considered an old Jag?????

its different easy enough to get parts for(well easier than a yank tank) and you get the choice of having an extra 4 cylinders if you so desire :)

Reply to
Rob

Now you can f*ck off.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah not into beemers these days although maybe in another few years it may be a less than poverty spec version might be an option instead of a vectra on the old company car front.

Reply to
Rob

It's very rough, he has another auction with more pics,

ThePunisher