1993 Mustang Hypereutectic Pistons,horsepower tolerance?

I have a 1993 Mustang GT,61,000 miles on engine.Recently dynoed @ 320 rwh with a Paxton Novi 2000 pushing approx 12 lbs boost,73mm C&l mass air,24lbs injectors,180 lph pump,Diablo SuperChip,Griffin race radiator,duel electric fans...1 5/8 long tubes,2 1/2 in X pipe and flowmasters,otherwise the engine is pretty much stock .My mechanic wants to install a Twisted Wedge Track Heat kit,heads intake etc,add 42 lb injectors,75mm throttle body and a cam,he's guessing I would be around

500 hp with this combo....I'm concerned that the stock cast hypereutectic pistions won't handle the load....Anyone have any idea how much abuse/ hp these pistons will handle?....Also,My suspension has subframe conectors,southside machine bars,HD Ford uppers,stock axels,he says that my stock axels will handle the hp as long as I don't run slicks,I'm not sure about that either?...Anyone here know of any 93 gt owners who have run high HP on the stock pistons and axels?
Reply to
Marcus Spudich

I am assuming you have a stock block. The reason the hyper pistons are not the best for a supercharged engine is that they can't take detonation as well. If there is no detonation then they aren't really any worse than the stock forged ones.

IMO, there are other issues to worry about when pushing a stock block to

500+ hp. First is the main caps. They aren't really up to the task for high rpm horsepower. Second, is the lifter valley of the stock 302 block is its real weak spot. I can't tell you the number of blocks with cracks down the lifter valley and there's not much you can do to reinforce it. Third, is the head bolts. Go with 1/2" diameter bolts instead of the stock ones.

I did run 16 psi of boost on my car but it was so sensitive to blowing head gaskets from the heads lifting I went back to 12 psi. If you don't have detonation then the pistons and rods usually don't fail. It is the other things I mentioned.

I have also had my issues with the drive train. The stock axles will probably work well but the real problem will likely come from the transmission (auto or manual) if it is stock. I tore up a stock T-5 in no time and went with a T-56. The same goes for the clutch. I agree that staying away from slicks will improve the odds of your drive train components surviving. I still have stock size axles and the 8.8" differential on my car and they haven't given me any problems but I have never run with slicks. I don't think I would have any problems even if I did as even then traction is somewhat limited.

Reply to
Michael Johnson