91 LX (5.0), Turn Signals Not Working

Hello Newsgroup,

I have a problem with my 1991 Ford Mustang LX (5.0 Coupe). My turn signal don't work. When I push the stalk up or down (left or right respectively), the inside turn indicator comes on but does not blink. The external turn lights do the same thing. I purchased and installed a new flasher relay, but the problem persists. I thought maybe the problem lies in the turn switch on the steering column. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or have experienced the same problem? If so, how did you correct it? Thanks for an advice you may have.

Thomas

91 Ford Mustang LX (5.0 Coupe)
Reply to
sariwa1

This is exactly what happens when you have an (external) bulb out. Put the signal on, then walk around the car and check all the bulbs.

John

Reply to
jmvannoy

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

well, not always.

How about the emergency flashers, do they work? Check OUTSIDE

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think there's a 4 way flasher and a turn signal flasher, make sure you're changing the correct one(signal flasher). I believe the signal flasher is under the glove box area, and the 4 way flasher is around fuse box area. If it was a bulb I could see it not flashing either left or right, but not both directions....Rico

Rico

Rico and the rest of the newsgroup respondents

Thanks for your advice. I found the turn signal flasher. On my car it was on the passengers side mounted almost directly behind the stereo. Changed it, and now my turn signals are operational again. Now it's time to have my transmission diagnosed and repaired. I hope it won't be to costly.

Sariwa

Reply to
sariwa1

"sariwa1" wrote in news:%Jswd.207425$V41.18014@attbi_s52:

I've got a feeling that the tranny will be a bit more expensive then the flasher.. ;)

Joe