Anyone upgraded stereo on 2000 model?

2000 GT 'vert with stock Mach1 system sounds like crap (unless I crank it all the way up). I can't tell if the speakers are crappy or the receiver/amp. What is a decent brand/model that is commonly used these days in a Mustang? (I don't need the neighbors to hear me going down the block. Not looking for wigger setup. Just decent CD/MP3/FM system in the $600-800 range). Thanks Ron
Reply to
Ron Wood

First suggestion, go to:

. Browse around there...they have great info on what model fitswhat...what speakers fit where...etc. They also have goodinstallation kits so wire cutting is kept to a minimum. I don't claim to be an audiophile, but as for what brand headunit to get....get an established name...don't go too cheap, but the pricey ones usually have too many unnecessary features. A four-channel amp in the headunit is a plus, especially if you're bypassing the factory amps. (Which I recommend because new speakers will probably have different ohm characteristics) Look for RCA outs (for future amps). Subwoofer outputs are nice, but not totally necessary (plain RCA outs can be used). RCA/Aux inputs night be useful for future use.

My recommendations: Get good component speakers...with crossovers. I've got MB Quart and they sound great. I've also got an Infinity Basslink subwoofer...it's small but gives good bass (even with the top down) . It's quite adjustable so you don't become a thumper.

can probaly find those on ebay for $100 less. hope that helps.

Reply to
Dinsdale