Arizona Emissions Alert!!!

Arizona Emissions Test Exemption for Collectible Vehicles Passes Senate,

Moves to Governor to be Signed into Arizona Law

A bill (H.B. 2357) to exempt qualified collectible vehicles 15 years old and older from the state's mandatory emissions inspection and maintenance program has been approved by the Arizona State Legislature. Qualifying vehicles would have to maintain appropriate collectible or classic automobile insurance to retain these benefits. The bill now moves to Governor Napolitano's office for her signature.

ACT NOW! Contact Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Her Support for H.B. 2357

a.. H.B. 2357 defines collectible vehicles as 15 years old or older, OR of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity and maintained primarily for car club activities, exhibitions, parades, etc. and is used infrequently for other purposes.

b.. H.B. 2357 provides for a rolling 15-year emissions inspection exemption that would exempt qualifying vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.

c.. H.B. 2357 provides for an emissions inspection exemption for collectible vehicles for which the owner holds appropriate insurance coverage.

d.. H.B. 2357 acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the older vehicles targeted for this exemption.

e.. H.B. 2357 recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well-maintained and infrequently operated.

DON'T DELAY! Please contact Governor Janet Napolitano immediately to request her support for H.B. 2357.

The Honorable Janet Napolitano Governor of Arizona

1700 West Washington Phoenix, Arizona 85007

Telephone: 602-542-4331 Fax: 602-542-1381

---------------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

Wow, a 15-year rolling exemption? That covers everything from 1990 on back. I see blower 5.0's and LT-1's on the loose.

And it looks like "unique" (i.e., high-dollar) '91's-'05's can get an exemption if you swear not to exceed some kind of mileage limit.

Is there also a mileage limit for the '90's and older?

If the Gov signs, does this mean that Trouble's emissions worries are over?

Is the Gov likely to sign?

Here in Cali, the originator of the rolling exemption in 1998, we started with exemptions for the '73 model year and older, and then we were supposed to start picking up a new model year each year from

1/1/04 on. It worked for exactly one year. Now, effective 1/1/05, it's frozen for good at the '75 model year. But at least we have no mileage restrictions. And of course federal law prohbits any non-exempt alterations to the emissions equipment. So all the oldies run fully restored and operational smog gear, stock cams, etc., anyway, right?

180 Out

Laurie S. wrote:

Qualifying

Information

older, OR of

curiosity and

exemption.

Reply to
one80out

I think there's a good chance that she will sign the bill because a two-year study was done before the bill was proposed. The study showed that no negative effects would occur by eliminating emissions for these cars. The kicker is that the car has to have specialty collector's insurance, which is a narrow section of the cars. But what we figure is get this passed, then work on expanding the coverage.

Yes, if it passes, I'll be first in line at the DMV licensing Trouble. :)

--------------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

What's the skinny on the specific insurance?

Reply to
Jason

Paste reply.....

Dear fellow Arizonan,

I recently received your email and would like to thank you for your interest in our state's future and for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. I would also like to thank you for visiting my web site, where you can continue to go for updates on your state government.

Please know that your email will receive immediate attention. If you have further questions, you may call my office at 602-542-1318. I look forward to working with you on building a better Arizona.

Very Truly Yours,

Janet Napolitano Governor

Reply to
Big Al

The vehicle must have collector's insurance, which I'm sure is why Hagerty is so involved with spreading the word. I imagine for the initial waiver you'll have to go to DMV and show proof of collector's insurance. What I wonder is how would they know if you then dropped that insurance? It should be interesting to see how they handle this.

----------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

Yep, your standard boiler plate reply. But, at least there is a count made of the number of e-mails, letters, calls, etc.

------------ Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

Doesn't the insurance company notify the MVD when someone drops their insurance ? This is what I was told when I accidently dropped my mc insurance because I didn't get the renewal bill.

RT