Conv top care

Does anyone have a decent site to go to explaining the ins and outs of ragtop care? I've been to a few but not finding the anal detailed instructions I'm looking for. For instance, most sites say "never store with the top down"... is this for one day, one week, one month? I keep my stang in a garage so there is no chance of getting it wet but up and down every day (sometimes 2X not knowing I need to go out again) seems kinda excessive abuse to the hardware to me. Best cleaner? etc... Appreciate any help, this is my first convertible and know nothing about them.

Thanks,

-Steve-

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve, The only concerns I have run across are Don't use detergent or soap on the top when washing, I use water and if need be a rag, then as for treatment I use a vinyl treatment ok'ed for airplaines where they use it I dont know, but water and a rag, if two dirty use a good (the best you can find) rag top cleaner, Don't "Don't" use armerall. Its late here and I forgot the name of the clearner I'll try to find it 4 u. Enjoy your car.

Bill

02 Convertable 3.8 Duel Mac Exaust with X Mineral Gray

Reply to
Billstein

I leave my top down when parking overnight in my garage. No problems (yet).

I believe by "storage" they mean for m> For instance, most sites say "never store with

Reply to
Walt

Hey Steve... The Ford tops have a tendency to like to crack at the bend points. On two cars, I have been through three tops. The one I have now is the first one I have been able to have on the car from the beginning, and it's doing great.

The color of your top is going to make a difference on how much maintenance you are going to have to go through.

With my tan top, it was easy. Wash it with gentle soap and water and a scrub brush. It didn't show the dirt.

With my white top, I have scrubbed, cussed, cajoled, wrestled, degreased, soft scrubbed, bleached and finally after the urging of the guys in the group used Simple Green. It seems to work as well as anything. The doggone thing will stay white.

As for vinyl treatments, that's a double edged sword. On one side they are telling you that it will 'protect' the top, on the other, anything with Silicone will cause the vinyl to dry out and then yellow severely. In the case of Armorall, it will be even worse, as it builds up like varnish. The top has (I'm sure you have noticed) a little grain in the fabric, any slick-em stuff you put on there will get down into those crevaces and collect dirt.

I park Shug in the garage sometimes for up to a month at a time with the top down (cover on) but when I do put the top up after that I let it stretch up gently, kind of like when you do warm ups before exercising.

The worst thing I have found, by way of personal experience, for your top, is to raise and lower it in very cold weather. It becomes brittle from the cold, and will accelerate wear. Like a big Hunk candy bar, in the sunshine, it's nice and pliable, stick it in the freezer, and it shatters into little pieces when you bend it...

Hope this was of some sort of help.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

I agree, color is a big factor...mine is black and find it easy, simple mild soap and water. I even use the pressure washer on it (from a safe distance...) from time to time to get some incrusted dust out.

When storing for the winter, I close the top but leave it unlatched so it has no tension on it and keep a car cover over the car.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

I am certainly no expert on this, but I would think the purpose of storing it with the top up, would be to keep the tension on it. Without tension, I would be worried that the top's material might shrink or relax over the course of the winter. Then, in the spring, tear or rip when you try to stretch it back into full shape.