Is it worth the $$$

My son has found an 87 mustang GT 5.0 he wants to buy. He needs Dad's permission and a small loan.(Don't they all) The mileage is 117K. It is a 5 spd with a Pro-5.0 shifter. Motor is stock "untouched". The care is a one owner and appears to be immaculately maintained. The price is $3300 and this seems a little high. Oh yea, it is a 4 hour drive to get there. Reasonable price or not?

Reply to
RickyD

rick.. just doing a quick rundown in kbb.com kelleybluebook shows that at most it may be worth around 1700-2000 that is in my zip code. try it yourself..

dave

-----------------=> NOTE My son has found an 87 mustang GT 5.0 he wants to buy.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Might be on the higher side of bluebook but you yourself just said "immaculate" which is going to be hard to find in a 16 year old car. Does is have any other mods like suspension, exhaust, etc.? Did he keep a maintenance history? regular 3k oil changes is what I'd want to hear. even if he's BS'ing at least he probably got them regularly. At 117k I'd probably want to see a recent receipt for timing chain (although they can certainly go longer, you'll be footing the bill if not), full fluid replacement (differential, transmission, coolant, brake etc.) anything non-functioning find out the cost to fix. Most importantly drive it, get it up past 3,000 RPM and listen for ping/knock or any other odd noise.

16 years is enough time for a car to start rusting, check underneath, look at the lower sheet metal especially on the doors. The outside paint can be perfect but a lot of cars as they get older will let water in down the window molding. 3 grand is not too little money to get a bit anal retentive.

Mostly call and get an insurance quote for adding your son and THAT car, the word 5.0 is enough to hike things up considerably all by itself. Especially if he's 16-21 and I'm guessing he is.

Lastly, I hate to sound like an old conservative geezer but question how much you want to have your son driving around in a older car that has a distinct "hod rod" image and one of the all time "hot rod" engines in it. If he's got a head on his shoulders, is responsible and you can figure a way for HIM to make the loan payments (he'll be more careful with a car if he's paying for it). go for it.

I would have loved to have had a 5.0 when I was 16-18 but I probably would have killed myself. I'm a responsible adult now and I can look back and realize that not having one (or the Kawasaki Ninja I once wanted) was probably a good thing. Rest (un)assured that his friends WILL goad him into finding out the cars top speed, he WILL get tickets, and will explore the edge with that car all on his own (but then again he would with any other car you get him).

I really sound like a geezer don't I?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

If it is truely an untouched enging, original not rebuilt and 117K original miles.... umm, yeah that's REEAL high, WAY too much. You need to pass and give me his phone number so I can, umm, tell him how off his price is.... Heh..

Seriously, if you waited this long, depending on where you are, it's probably gone.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No you sound like a responsible parent. I am 58 and drive an 89 5.0 LX. My son is 19 and he drives a 1995 Volvo turbo wagon. I would think seriously before turning any teenager loose with a 5.0 mustang, 911 porsche, bottle of whisky or handgun. Best wishes Howard

Reply to
hnelson

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Well, we went to see it and we bought it for $3300. It is in amazing condition. The interior is like new. It is so very clean throughout...over , under everywhere. It was garage kept all these years. Body and Paint is in great shape,.. no rust whatsoever. It needs new tires and the A/C needs freon (he said). I will have it checked. His father and mother were visiting him when I got there. The father said he bought the car for the son when he went off to college in

1987. Now he is 35, has a PhD and is getting rid of his well loved Mustang. He was nearly in tears as I drove it away. By the way a local "Mustang guru" had offered him $3200 if I did not take it for $3300. He also just replaced clutch and flywheel. The original had lasted over 110K miles. RAM clutch installed...whatever that is....? I drove it back the 270 miles, and it can move. I still think my 95 Z28 is faster, but what do I know. Also has sub-frame connectors....is that a good thing? I must admit I am not a Mustang guru, but it is a beautiful car. Locally we had seen several 1987 - 1993 Mustangs 5.0's for about $3K but they were in very bad condition although most had their motors "muscled up" and that worried me. I think $3300 was a great deal for this beauty. We will take it to my mechanic tomorrow for a thorough check up and go get new tires. Then I have to teach my son how to drive the "stick". I hope he is easier to teach than his mother was all those many years ago. Nearly cost us a divorce. I still remember my shouting..."Push in the clutch" as we lurched down the road in my 1965 Ford Fairlane 2 door (289 ci engine). My first car and a beauty. With 3 on the tree. I will keep you informed. Rick
Reply to
RickyD

One more thing. He told me the car was in Autotrader for over a week with no calls. He then noticed that they had listed his phone number incorrectly. I guess timing is everything.

Reply to
RickyD

If the car does not have an aftermarket shifter yet, I would highly suggest investing in one such as a Pro 5.0. The positive stops will save your transmission from bent forks due to overshifting.

Reply to
paul-1993