k&n air filter

Oh my...I'm agreeing with Jim. The sky must be falling! 8-)

I'd forgotten about the PITA factor in cleaning/reoiling the filter (which you're supposed to do on a regular basis...not once every few years as someone else here posted). Unless your time is not worth anything, this often gets left out of the "I'm saving so much money on filters" schtick. There's also the well-documented issue of people overoiling the filter and having the oil contaminate/ruin expensive parts like the mass air sensor.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Getting more hp from a K&N verses an OEM filter is not a myth. Whether it be an extra 1-2 hp on a stock engine or 10-20 on a modified on - it is more hp. Therefore their claims are true. I guarantee that someone with a modded and/or supercharged engine will see a decent horsepower gain using a K&N over an OEM filter.

The key is to make your engine a more efficient air. If a K&N flows air more easily than an OEM filter that alone will increase mpg and hp. It is the same as comparing a clean filter to a dirty one. The clean one will get you better mileage and more hp.

It has never been proven that the use of a K&N filter shortens engine life. In fact, there are many, many people like me that have used one for well over 100,000 miles with absolutely no problems. I don't know one passenger car/light truck engine that has been destroyed from using a K&N filter. All the posts in this thread from people trashing K&Ns are based on nothing more than their belief they will cause accelerated wear and not on one substantive fact.

As for inconvenience of cleaning the filter, it really isn't that inconvenient. I've cleaned mine about half a dozen times over a twelve year period. I fail to see how this has inconvenienced me. The procedure for cleaning is simple and easy. I take the filter out, slosh it around in a pan with cleaner for a few minutes, hose it off, let it dry overnight and reinstall it in the morning. The cleaning procedure take a whopping 5 minutes of my time. The total effort is maybe 10 minutes verses 5 minutes for replacing an OEM filter. Now if a person isn't smart enough to change an air filter then they should stick with OEM units.

Agreed.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Unless you live on a dirt road the cleaning regime isn't that severe. Usually, once every 20k-30k miles will suffice. I've been one of those that over oiled the filter - just once though. Taught me to read and follow the directions. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Mike I didn't think you were, and I'm not as thin skinned as my post implied. Like I said, I have used them at one time or another on all of my performance cars. If they were passing dirt to any measurable degree, it would be noticeable in the inside of the carb or MAF. I have never seen any evidence of that. At one time, they were talking 25 HP gains, which we all know is BS. K&N makes a good product that will actually pay for itself in air filters that you don't have to purchase. For that reason alone they are a good investment, as long as the claims, whether real or implied, to substantial horsepower gains are taken with a grain of salt. As for extremely dirty conditions, I would probably pay closer attention. Luckily, we have clean air here. (With the exception of a memorable experience with Mt. St Helens) Later Bill

Reply to
Me

I didn't really think he would do it!!! Ha haa

Reply to
Wound Up

Holy crap, it's an educated and thoughtful opinion!!!! How rare a thing in Usenet today...

As for me, I have

I hve a collective 60,000 miles with two different vehicles, one a carbed 302 and one an injected DOHC I4. NO problems. Change your oil regularly enough, and you're fine. I get a couple extra mpg on the 302, and, I believe, a small boost in power. I was skeptical but I do believe it idles more smoothly, has a bit more torque, and a bit more WOT on the top end. Not having to change the things is reason enough. Clean 'em, oil 'em, that's it. The paper filter for the I4 was $15. The K&N was $33. No question in my mind.

Listen to the man.

Not this man.

The only way it can add power is if your present air

Reply to
Wound Up

Idles smoother? Extra MPG? So your saying you get all of that from an air filter? Something that has no effect on the way the engine runs, and the engine really does not even know it's there at anything below wide open throttle? Laughable. The guys who market Tornado's and cow magnets must really love you.

Reply to
Me