OT: Leaf springs, axles, and tops.

Hey, I know its OT, but this is the one stop for questions. I promise, someday I WILL post something on topic!

I picked up a 1980 Dodge Ramcharger 4wd yesterday. It's got the 360/727.

Axles - I'd like to change the oil in the front and rear diffs, as well as inspect the gears while I've got the covers off. The truck has 160K, (motor has 11k). I don't know what kind of axles they are (Danas?) The VIN is: A10ATAC123852

Should I re-fill the axles with No-Smoke? Lucas? 50% 100%? The stuff is like

120wt oil. It is expensive but I don't mind buying it if it will help protect the axles.

What do I look for when inspecting? Metal shavings? How hard is it to re-seal the diff covers? Anything to look for? Any "Got-ya's"? Anything else I should do while I have the covers off?

Leaf Springs- The rears are sagging pretty badly.

Should I buy new ones? Have them re-arched? Leaf spring helpers? Add a leaf?

I was thinking I could have the springs re-arched (all 4), buy 2" lift add-a-leaf springs (for all 4 corners) and new Rancho shocks. Is this a good idea? Any tips are VERY appreciated. I have also never installed leaf springs. The ride is very spongy, especially in the rear. What about the shock that seems to compress when I turn? What is it called, and should it be replaced with the others?

This is primarily an off-road rig. I won't be hauling anything heavy or towing. If I do tow, it will be once in a blue moon.

Top - The top is removable, any tips for removing it? Re-installing it without leaks?

Thanks for any help.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed