Possible future body modification...

Before you flame me, no, I'm not putting a big Super Touring wing on it and a big body kit by Rice Inc. :)

It's a simple idea to make the car look a little sleeker by taking some of the seams out of the body details, like around the side scoops and hood vents (and possibly a few other areas like the B Pillar seam where it meets the body, although I haven't played with that idea very much). Without trying to confuse too much, I've photoshopped my car up the way it would look with the mods done here -

I'm wondering is this: Can just any body shop do this well, or shouldI look to a more professional shop that does a lot of custom work? Iprobably won't be doing it for a while, since I'll be getting the carrepainted in the process, and I don't have the money at this current time,so I have a lot of time to do research into good shops, if that's what ittakes. Also, if anyone knows of anyone who's had this idea, tried it, andit looks either great, or horrible, and possibly has some pictures, I'd beinterested in seeing them! James '94 GT

Reply to
LoTekGuru

flex from closing and opening the hood as well as body flex in the 1/4 panels would spoil any simple job of filling in the gaps. For the side scoops new scoops should be fabricated in metal and welded in place. For the hood, something similiar to the material the hood is made of and will bond to it very well. Filling the gap between two parts which will have some flex relative to each other I don't see holding up for the long term.

Reply to
Brent P

"LoTekGuru" wrote

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time for such a tiny thing to do. I don't think many people would notice it, and those that did wouldn't think it was a big deal. It doesn't really add anything to the overall "feel" of the car. Now if you filled EVERY crack, crease and crevice. Then had the doors handles removed and then filled in. That would be different. I don't think it would be worth the money it would cost to do it correctly.

Reply to
66 6F HCS
66 6F HCS opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Wow... I date from the late fifties when that was very common. And i did it myself on a couple cars.

But, in this case i think it actually takes AWAY from the car's styling accents to have those seams filled.

Auto designers have improved a lot... making the "necessary" a feature!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yea, I'd shy away from that myself. Use the money for a set of gears, rims, exhaust or something like that.

Reply to
Mark

Thansk for all the replies... after looking at the pictures, as well as other mustangs around here and really trying to pay attention to those areas I do agree that it would go un-noticed for the most part.

Reply to
LoTekGuru

LoTek,

For a show car, maybe. But for a street car, no way. Street cars get dented, stratched, vandalized, and occasionally get crunched. IMO, all that fancy body work and paint is a waste. The best thing you can do for a street car is try to make the original paint last as long as possible by waxing it at least a few times a year, using a clay bar every once in a while, and by having any dents removed by a skilled paintless dent removal technician. Once the original paint has either started to wear off or there's a lot of chips and/or scratches, or there's serious accident damage, then and only then, have the car repainted. And unless you're going to have the car _completely_ stripped down, reshoot it with the original color.

That's my $1.02

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yeah that's why I'm having the paint redone... there are a lot of paint bubbles on the roof that are splitting open, and the hood is a mess with 4 or 5 raised stripes running from the front to the back. Best I can imagine is the car got repainted a while back and was done by some place that let the previous owner take it on the road before the paint was completely dry, or they just didn't know what they were doing when spraying the car. I might just have the hood and roof repainted if they can match the color exactly, but if not I'm going to have to have the whole thing done.

Reply to
LoTekGuru