Rebuild ?

Hi All,

I'm a 25yr old looking to rebuild after my 200+ croaks. I'm not sure what to do. Should i rebuild 302 or convert to a 347 stroker or something. My budget will probably be under $3000. Any comments would be helpful. Mike

Reply to
Mike Poff

"Mike Poff" wrote

Well you gotta figure that half of that $3000 is just the stroker kit if you go to a 347. That's not counting ANY labor, machining, R and R of the motor itself. If you only have $3000 and your paying someone else to build it, save the cash and put it in a good split cam and the top end of the motor (nothing too radical now). Leave the bottom fairly stock. It'll save ya money and you'll still have a peppy toy. IMHO.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

A 3k budget pretty much limits you to a stock rebuild. Or you could buy a crate motor from Ford. What car is this going in? What is a 200+?

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Don't waste time and money doing a rebuild. For a rebuld you pull the motor, disassemble it, clean and check everything, go to the machine shop (multiple times), buy all the parts, assemble it all, and put it back in then car. Don't forget the cost of rebuilding the heads, all new bolts, etc. Do the math here on how much you'll sepnd in cash, gas, and time. Now take a look at a good crate motor. Summit Racing will drop an all new roller cam 5.0 on your door step for $3300 All you add is intake, ignition, and exhaust. I don't think you can rebuild your old one for that. If you want to save some money and do your own assembly, PAW will ship it unassembled for about $2400. But it's not a roller cam, uses stock heads, and doesn't come with oul pan, damper, etc.

Reply to
boB

I have a 96 GT with 109,000 miles. It runs pretty well but I have been thinking about doing the 2001 head job. However, hearing that you can buy a new "crate engine" for the $3,000 range, I'm wondering this: What would it cost to get one of the 32-valve 4.6 engines into my car?

Reply to
Scotter

Mike,

Just buy my rebuilt engine for $850 and build on that. FA: REBUILT 5.0 HO Roller Engine NO miles !!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Thanks, Eric, but I'm about 4 or more months off from doing something like this.

=7914416853&sspagename=rvi%3A1%3A1>

Reply to
Scotter

what does "5.0 roller" mean and what are the benefits vs. a 4.6? I would assume since 5.0's were stopped being used in Mustangs around 95 or

96 that it is a lower tech engine than the 4.6 OR is it some engine used in trucks or something?

=7914416853&sspagename=rvi%3A1%3A1>

Reply to
Scotter

Two completly differant engines. The 5.0 roller is a 302 Windsor with a factory roller cam. It's the old fashioned pushrod engine. Easy to get parts for, light weight, small package, stone cold reliable, plenitfull. The 4.6 is the newer Ford engine. It's modular, overhead cam, high tech, high revving, with excellent power potential. It's also very wide, and doesn't fit in a lot of places where a 302/5.0 sits. It has become Ford's standard V8 engine, as the 302 used to be.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Scotter

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

My son just ordered the ford 5.0 crate motor to replace the 289 in his

67...besides the motor he order a the RPM manifold..(gonna use his edelbrock 600cfm carb) an MSD distribitor and a bronze gear for it and new flex plate. He is just under 4K for motor parts..It should be here in a couple of days..Yes we took the easy way out..by not rebuilding his old motor..but we needed to get it going before school starts again. I'll post how it goes.

Tony and AJ

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

I thought the crate motor came with a flex plate???? I guess Ford wants to save another couple of bux.

Reply to
boB