v6v4 to V8 swap

Ive always wanted a 5.0 mustang but Im sick of morons that wont sell them no matter how old and rusty for less than $5k.

So ive decided to build my own. I know i will probly spend more than $5k in the long run but it wont be all at once and I can build the car exactly how I want it.

So ill be looking for an 89-98 v6/v4 manual trans. With that in mind is there any certain years that are tougher to convert than others? motor mounts, rear ends, etc? and any advice from those that have done this.

Thanks,

69 coupe 351w notspattyspam.fargosucks.com
Reply to
faust_151

Don't do it. Buy an original 5.0. There is a Hell of a lot more than the engine to deal with. Here in Tucson you can buy 88 to 92's from $2,000 to $5,000. I sold an 89 5.0, LX, hatchback in very good shape for $2,500. Just stay away from car lots and people who think they have concourse cars.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

faust snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1129570104.376584.149490 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Only ONE way to do it... one good car to convert, one wrecked 5.0.

You have to change almost everything.

I aint gonna discourage you... I've converted a few 2.3 carbs to 2.3 EFI turbo's which is almost as hard... but I started with a very good knowledge of the EFI and mechanics. PLUS as many parts as I needed. And complete wiring diagrams

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Exactly. If you've got a donor car and a "good" recipient car, then it's not THAT bad, but it is still no walk in the park. It's a LOT (in caps) easier to start with a car that's already got a 5.0, even if you're starting with one that's got a blown motor.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Its like I got no choice. These people up here are insane. Everyone pretty much thinks whatever car is worth gold or its just that they are so far in debt they have to stick it to the buyer. I just dont get it.

My > Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
faust_151

Fox bodies seem to be pretty plentiful around here (northeast) and not very expensive. Have you tried autotrader and ebay? Unless you're very mechanically inclined, have all the necessary tools, and a LOT of time on your hands, you're probably going to be very unhappy trying an engine swap.

Cheers,