im buying a V8 110

Its gotta be too good to be true. Ive found a F reg 110 defender with 87k genuine milage. In really good overall condition. He wants 2.5k for it and ive said yup I'll have it. Only thing is that its a V8. But not originally.... A previous owner put a Discovery 3.9 V8 in it. And weve no idea of its mileage ? Can anyone give any pointers as to how old the engine might be ? I need the grunt to pull a meduim sized boat on an A-frame. The local mech says theres no engine number on it which sounds odd. Any advice appreciated.. Thx ZoNeHeaD®

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

No engine number probably means its been nicked and had its number ground off - if you think 2.5K is cheap just wait till you start filling it with fuel.

Reply to
Sean

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

So a 3.9 disco was around 92ish onwards weren't they? (the original Discos were 3.5 before then)

I wouldn't be worried about there it came from, more what condition its in now..

A tired V8 will be sludge up, check the filler cap, make sure there's no water around anywhere from the allyheads and that its not puffing smoke when being revved.

I'm sure the V8 gurus will be along in a minute to tell you more.

I wouldn't be worried about the fuel if its an occasional truck. My V8 90 only comes out at the weekend to play and I can live with the 10-20quid I have to throw in it once in a while.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Did they transplant the gearbox as well, or does it still have the normal diesel gearbox (LT77). The V8 110 has the Santana heavy duty box, the diesel 5-speed not being up to the job (I used to have a road car with the SD1 LT77 type box and tuned V8 and it was nice while it lasted - but it didn't last). Rpi have some info on this

Its a little worrying that there is no engine number, but then I am fussy about such things (though now I think of it I never did get around to updating the number on my log book when I swapped engines - but at least I have the original engine and can always put it in the back of the 110 if challenged).

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Did they transplant the gearbox as well, or does it still have the normal diesel gearbox (LT77). The V8 110 has the Santana heavy duty box, the diesel 5-speed not being up to the job (I used to have a road car with the SD1 LT77 type box and tuned V8 and it was nice while it lasted - but it didn't last). Rpi have some info on this

Its a little worrying that there is no engine number, but then I am fussy about such things (though now I think of it I never did get around to updating the number on my log book when I swapped engines - but at least I have the original engine and can always put it in the back of the 110 if challenged).

Steve

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Will you read that post, it makes no sense at all.

Reply to
Nige

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

I ran an LT77 in my 110 V8 recovery motor for years.... a little graunchy going into 2nd when cold, but otherwise ok. The LT77 can cope with a LOT more power than some people would like you to believe. It was used in the TR8 rally car (where it copes with over 260bhp happily) and various early TVR's as well, with no real major issues other than the second gear when cold. Strange that those same people always have a "cure" they can sell you, eh? If i's ok, don't worry about it.

A lot of my rebuilt engines leave here with no number in the original position, if the block has been re-sleeved then the decking process removes it anyway. I stamp my own number, usually on the web at the rear of the block. If the oil pressure is ok, no rattles, and it doesn't knock from the bottom end at idle when really hot (hold at 2000rpm for 15 minutes then release to idle) and there's none of the aforementioned black gunge, then it's probably ok. Don't run a high-detergent oil such as duckhams (spit!) in it though, the detergent will loosen off the gunge and cause all sorts of issues with cam wear! Badger. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Same as my lt85 then!

I thought it was a lubrication issue?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

according to current owner he has replaced gearbox with a heavy duty one, professionally installed in 2004 which is good news

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

That's another problem. Landrover used to specify EP oil, then they realised it was causing the oil pumps to fail when cold, so changed the oil spec firstly to ATF then later to MTF on the R380 which is a very similar gearbox in design! There were also some issues in the late 80's I believe with a bad batch of boxes that all suffered 5th gear failures. The quoted reason (by landrover) for not using the LT77 in the V8 powered

90's and 110's of the period was one of power/torque handling capability, yet they used it in the Rangerover of the same period - which has the same towing capacity! Go figure. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

I heard they changed from EP to the ATF after finding it was a bit tough to get into gear on v cold mornings, and that when they did that Timken refused to warrant the bearings.

After an expensive mainshaft rebuild on my Santana box (the same problem so many people have had on other boxes with the transfer box gear chewing the shaft), I agonised over what oil to put in. Turns out there are also a lot of different Santana boxes, and as mine was the type without the little fibre oil pump I swapped it to fully synthetic EP multigrade 75w90. It has been in there 30,000 miles without obvious problems, and no problems getting it in gear. Its a slow truck-like box though, the LT77 in my 110TD felt like a race car box by comparison.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Well the log book just says engine number - doesn't say it has to be attached does it ?

But I was thinking I might need to put the original block back in eventually - it turns out the V8 110s have the Vitesse spec block which is stronger in the bottom end, whereas the tuned engine I put in had an earlier SD1 block. I put the original V8 block to one side in case the tuned engine flew apart, but the years have gone by and nothing has gone ping.

The 3.9 would seem to be a better engine though. More bore, same stroke, a bit more room around the valves for it to breath in and out. So I'm a tad jealous, sounds like you have found an interesting vehicle. BTW mine does about 230 miles on a tank, which is 68 litres when it just kisses the red on the gauge. It would do more miles if I could keep my foot off the right hand pedal - but that ain't going to happen.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

:-) I know the feeling. I've just had my first decent drive of the

350kW beastie. I'm a *very* happy bunny this evening.
Reply to
EMB

One thing im used to is trucks. I drive Artics for a living have done for 25 years. So bottom line seems ive found a cracker. Waited long enough. thanks guys for all your advice. I'll be back for more advice re : doing her up. From the pics i'd say I need a rear door and 2 rear side doors. Might be able to clean em up have to wait n see. Getting her tomorrow so I will keep you all posted. once again thx.

ZoNeHeaD®

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®