95 Pathfinder 4wd starter problems

About 4 years ago i bought a used pathfinder. Everything has been great except the constant starter problems. After 6 months the OEM starter died (no clicking sound, nothing). I paid to have it replaced with a Bosch unit at a Canadian Tire shop.

I had 5 year parts warranty. 3 month into it, Bosch starter started doing the terrible grinding noise on every other start (it was spinning but not engaging the flywheel to crank the engine). So after a huge argument with the shop, I had them replace it free of charge except they had to put in a Champion branded starter as the Bosch units were no longer available. But they told me I get to keep my remaining warranty.

Its was running great for 6 months or so until it started doing exactly the same thing. So this time I got another Champion starter under warranty and intalled the starter with a buddy of mine at his garage (what a b*tch that was I tell ya). Ran great until a week ago. When all of a sudden it started not engaging again. I was stuck half way across the city with the engine not cracking over. Had to tow the truck.

I've called a few shops around asking for reason why the pathfinder starters might be failing so quickly and possible reasons to avoid such abrupt failure. These are the responses I got (my comments are in parenthesis):

- That I didn't install it professionally last time (how many ways can you install a starter?)

- Crappy battery, faulty wiring, electrical problems (I had it tested, it is all fine)

- Shitty non-OEM starters... (how crappy do they make them? can't even last a couple of years??)

- Oil leaks from the filter right above the starter. Suggested to put an oil-filter relocation kit.

- A suggestions to buy OEM starter ($600+)

I looked into purchasing the OEM part, but I don't think that $700+ is worth it. I mean that's like 1/5th the cost of the truck or so. I don't believe I will be investing this much money into it.

So I still have just 1 year left on the warranty and should be able to get the part for free. But I'm sure its not going to be without a fight with the store. I don't wanna have to replace the starter again a year later when it dies and it's past the warranty period.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any workarounds? Any thoughts on the topic? Tips?

Reply to
Swartz

I had my OEM starter rebuilt by a good local shop. It has worked like a charm ever since. Why buy new when the old one could have been fixed?

Oh, and swapping out the starter is a major pain in the ass until you figure it out. I can swap my starter in about 30 minutes now. You just have to remember the twisting/tilting sequence to get it out.

Reply to
DS

Unfortunately when the OEM starter stopped working, I didn't know that option existed. So I traded mine in as a core return towards the purchase of the Bosch unit. Who knew that it would be such a PITA...

Its been a while since I did this (with a help of a buddy and over some beer). How do you take it out?

From what i remember we had to take off the skid plate, the metal bar (whats the actual term for it?), and then the bolts were hell to get to. I noticed my Chilton repair manual tells me to drain the oil and take off the filter but that seems like an unnecessary step.

Reply to
Swartz

I'm not at all familiar with the Pathfinder, but on some vehicles the symptoms you describe can result from a worn ring gear.

This is the large gear, likely to be on the flywheel, which the starter pinion gear teeth engage with (in order to turn the engine over).

I think you should get an informed opinion on whether this might be causing your series of starter problems. Maybe you can see the ring gear teeth with a stong light when the starter is removed.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

It's possible that a bad spot on the ring gear is wearing the pinion teeth quickly when it throws into that damaged area.

Given the history, that's something I'd be looking at before spending on more starter motors.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

IIRC I removed the skid plate, removed the bolts on the starter, disconnected the cables and then pulled it out through the front. There was much twisting and tilting the starter to get it to fit but it eventually came out. The first time took me hours, the next time was very quick. I don't remember other details as this was a long time ago now.

Reply to
DS