1991 Pathfinder Starter Problem

We own an otherwise dependable vehicle. It is originally a 49-state vehicle, modified to meet Canadian regulations. It has the 6-cylinder engine with manual transmission.

Occasionally (once or twice a month, but always at an inopportune time) the starter will not operate when the key is rotated to the "Start" position. Letting the clutch pedal out and then re-depressing it will sometimes be followed by the starter engaging. The fault steadfastly refuses to repeat itself for my mechanic. There also seems to be no positive correlation between the problem and any weather condition or length of time the vehicle has been shut down.

Any helpful thoughts on the source of the problem?

-- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

Andrew, Starter problems are not just relegated to the starter. Often times it could be any of the following: the ignition switch, the starter relay or soleniod, the neutral safety switch, or any other host of problems...bad or corroded ground wire or starter wire, a faulty or defective alarm system, etc. The below mentioned link will give you a basic breakdown of what to check out.

you have not already done so, and if you are considering working on your owncar, you may want to consider purchasing the Nissan Factory Service Manual for your particular model year Nissan Pathfinder. The Nissan OEM FSM manuals come in very handy in times like these. Anyhow, hope this helps... ID

Andrew Chapl> We own an otherwise dependable vehicle. It is originally a 49-state

Reply to
REMOVETHISidlafie

This sounds like a problem with the neutral safety switch as the other poster suggested (the fact that you can start the car by depressing the clutch again leads me to this). If you have a Chilton/Haynes manual, you can easily check if it is adjusted properly.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks to both you and Idlafie for your suggestions. I'll have to see what turns out.