95 Pathfinder Transmission

I would like to get a heads up on what to expect on a transmission repair.

My 1995 Pathfinder V6 Automatic will sometimes not go into reverse. I had the fluid changed a week ago, and it still does it. Does anyone know if this is a little problem, or should i just look for a rebuilt transmission somewhere?

Thank you

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

And had you ever changed it *before* it started acting-up? It's likely rebuild time. It's about $2K to have it rebuilt. Be careful where you get the rebuilt from (or who rebuilds yours). There's a lot of crap out there.

Jim Rojas wrote:

Reply to
JimV

I change the fluid every year at Jiffylube. They flush it and put in about 8 quarts or fresh fluid. If I race the engine a bit when this happens, it will start to move slowly.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I have a '94 V6 Pathfinder that had a similar problem. I phoned a local auto repair radio talk show about this. The host suggested that I overfill the transmission a little bit. Apparently overfilling is bad for most transmissions, but not for mine. Anyway, I overfilled it by about a half qt. and the problem was solved. It's been working fine for about 2 years now.

Reply to
Marko

Interesting...

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Jim- did this come on slow or was it an overnight kind of thing? I ask b/c my 93 seems to hesitate just a bit after putting it in reverse. Does not happen every time, but on occasion.

Thanks

Reply to
MM

It happened overnight...tomorrow I plan to add another 1/2 quart to see what happens.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I added 1/2 quart and the problem comes and goes. Should I add more, or just bite the bullet and get the tranny rebuilt?

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Tomorrow is the big day. I finally got a chance and picked up the tranny filter & gasket kit. I also picked up 2 pints of Lucas No Slip...crossing my fingers. :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Reply to
JimV

no filter?, hmm thats strange, i have a tranny filter and gasket in my garage right now for a 94 pathfinder, cant be any different than a 95.

Slip...crossing my

Reply to
Shawn

The filter they sold me was the wrong one. It looks like there is a small screen. Mission accomplished. We shall see if the No Slip stuff works...stay tuned ya'll. :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I spoke to a neighborhood guy that use to work for Aamco Transmissions. He now works for himself, and is licensed to do so. He told me my truck is harder to work on because the torsion bars must be removed to drop the tranny. Plus I also noticed that one of the exhaust manifolds runs directly underneath the tranny.

So here is his proposal:

  1. Removal of tranny.
  2. Full rebuild of current tranny, which is in good shape overall.
  3. Reinstall tranny.
  4. Installation of tranny cooler.
  5. 50 complete with 1 year warranty.

I think this is a great price...any comments?

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That's half of what a shop would charge. Just make sure you get a recent reference or two.

Reply to
JimV

He did my sister's 1998 Dodge Town & Country about 7 months ago...so far she has had no troubles...her transmission was in worse shape than mine. Her minivan would not even go into drive or reverse for that matter.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas