Bad crank sensor?

Howdy all,

My sister in-law has a 2002 Sentra and recently the engine just shut down while driving. Luckily this was not on a highway but in a 35 mph zone...

Nissan took it in fixed it and said it was a bad "Crank Sensor". I am concerned because she normally drives on the LIE (an expressway on Long Island where the flow of traffic often reaches 70 mph) and the thought of the engine simply "turning off" like that is damn scary!

What are the common concerns regarding this car? Things we should be aware of or basic advice...? Are there other parts that are prone to sudden failure causing such a complete shut-down?

It's a bit surprising that one 'sensor' could fail on a fairly new car and cause the engine to just stop dead. It's scary for anyone who has ever been on a congested fast moving highway.

Thanks for any pointers and I am not knocking Nissan or the car (it's been great up until now), just looking for info.

Spinwit

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Spin Wit

Spin Wit wrote: > Nissan took it in fixed it and said it was a bad "Crank Sensor".

My Mom's car had the same problem. Apparently that part had been recalled. Kinda sucks but it hasn't happened since.

Reply to
Sarky