Help: Pathfinder has problem starting

Our 1994 Pathfinder has developed an intermittent starting problem that has gotten worse over the past few weeks.

When you turn the key to start the vehicle, sometimes it won't start--no clicking, no sound, just lights on the dashboard (oil, check engine, etc.).

If you try a few times it eventually starts, but it has been getting worse. Today it took about 20x.

-Probably a starter going bad?

-Or if it's the ignition switch, I assume there's no way to make a definitive test when the problem is not occuring?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to narrow this down.

Reply to
Al

On 6 May 2006 08:59:27 -0700, "Al" graced this newsgroup with:

check the simple things first. Battery charge, battery terminals etc.

If you have some buildup on the terminals you could get intermittent voltage. If you have a loose connection at the starter, you could also have the same symptoms.

However, if none of those prove to be the problem, I'd suspect a bad or faulty ignition key switch.

Reply to
kegler

I'd clean the connections at the starter and battery first, but probably the starter and no way to diagnose if it's not doing it.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Larry Colombo

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll check the battery and starter connections.

If it +is+ the ignition switch, I assume the switch needs to malfunction under testing in order to determine that?

Just wondering: is the switch easy to replace?

Reply to
Al

On 7 May 2006 18:21:42 -0700, "Al" graced this newsgroup with:

it'll prob be pretty easy test for the short. And yes, it's pretty straight forward to replace.

Reply to
kegler

Don't forget to check the interlock switch at the clutch pedal (if you have a manual transmission).

Reply to
DS