please help my dying 93 altima

Please help! My 1993 nissan altima does not start, and I have taken it in to several shops many times Here's the deal - at first, my car started doing absolutely NOTHING when i would turn the key. No noise, no dome lights when the doors were open, nothing. Then, i found a battery cable that was sort of corroded and when i jiggled it, the dome light inside came on. Power! So then the car started fine, and life was good. However, the other day this problem happened again, so I jiggle the cable and got in the car to start it - the lights on the dashboard were on, etc. But, when i turned the key, there was a click noise and the power all went out. Nothing. So, what's wrong with my car? I heard maybe an oil leak caused the alternator to go, or something, it could be the alternator for a different reason, perhaps the starter. I have no clue, I'm

18, broke, and my parents won't shell out any more money for this godforsaken car. So, I need to know how to fix this myself. I'm pretty handy, I mean, I DID find that wire to jiggle the first time.... Any diagrams or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Hana
Reply to
Hana923

[...]

If you have NO power, then "jiggle" the battery cable and suddenly regain all power, that cable and terminal clamp needs to be replaced and the terminal on the battery cleaned.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

You have two cables that go to your battery. Take them off one at at time and clean VERY WELL both ends of the cable. Then clean the area (spot) and bolts that connect each end and reinsall cable. Do this with the other cable also. Make sure the bolts are very tight.

Check the level of acid in your battery if it is the kind you can add water to. If it is be very careful not to get any acid on you. There are small circircular ridges inside the hole, fill to that level with distilled water, don't add any more than that. If it is the sealed type battery you can't add water. Then hook up a battery charger to battery (leave it on overnight if it is the trickle charge type) or have your Dad take it to a shop and have it checked and charged. I won't cost much. Sears might do it free. Or if its a faily new battery take it back where you bought it and ask them to do it or replace it. Most batterys are guaranteed for several months.

Save up and order you a service manual from Nissan or go on e-bay Motors and get a FSM (field service manual)on a CD. Also it is a good idea if your inclined to like cars to take an auto repair course at your local community college.

Papa Ray

Reply to
Papa Ray