Possible Altima buyer has questions

Have a 99 Buick Century which I'm looking to replace this next year. I'm 60 yrs. old and wanting to get something that is going to be reliable for quite a few years. Sooo, have been looking at the Honda Accord sedan, which I 'like' the looks of and the Nissan Altima, which I 'love' the looks of. So presently leaning towards the Altima. Not familiar with the factory reccommended maint. schedules and am wondering about the costs of maintaining a Nissan versus the average American car? I have looked at the

2.5 and 3.5 models on the lot and the 2.5 model priced at about 20K is better for my budget than the 24K price of the 3.5. Don't know at this point if I can be happy with the 2.5 model as the 3.5 has a lot of extra equip. I like. But my main concern at this point is the performance of the 2.5 on the road. I'm sure it does quite well around town. Will test drive one eventually but doubt I will get a real feel of it's performance on the road especially with some weight in it and the AC running. Would appreciate your thoughts and experience with this car. Thanks.
Reply to
Paul

Paul, the 2.5L is a great car and the engine is more than capable for 99.9% of the drivers out there. You'll have no problems with on ramps or passing

18 wheelers on an uphill grade. The counterbalance system makes it very smooth. So, why the 3.5L V-6? First, there is the .1% who want that engine option and the 3.5L is such a great engine (notice how many Nissan/Infiniti applications for the basic block?) who could resist? I remember the "Car Talk" radio review of the 2002, they thought that Nissan had given them the 3.5L by mistake instead of the 2.5L because of the responsive engine. They concluded that the 3.5L would "only get you in trouble with the law." But there's a lot to be said for that!
Reply to
MTI

Pls save yourself some headaches and don't buy a car with looks as the prime factor. The Altima, while a great car, has a lot of interior noise, if I remember what owners have stated on various review sites. Also, resale is very poor. The list goes on. Plus the 2.5 gets you a 4speed automatic. If you have ever driven a decent 5speed auto., you wouldn't pay for a 4speed. I'll bet the 2.5 with a 5speed would be a wickedly nice combo.

Reply to
Bob H

Don't know at this

spd. auto. Don't know why they aren't more widly available.

Reply to
Paul

I have the 2.5S with automatic and it is a very powerful car running on a 4 cylinder engine. Granted the V6 is more powerful and probably ups the resale value, but I am pleased with my car very much. The seats are incredibly comfortable and there is a lot of interior room for my passengers, front and back, the trunk is enormous and I find the ride sporty and not cushy like that in a Honda or Toyota. Plus the design of the car does blow the Accord and Camry out of the water - rather ho-hum designs if you ask me. Granted the car is noisier than those two models, but I like to think of the Nissan brand name as good quality, perhaps not as high as Honda or Toyota, but the sporty brand of the group. I like the Honda Accord for its overall quality, but its ho-hum looks and nothing really has changed in terms of what the car 'does', really did not woo me over. Hope that helps.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks Peter, any and all info helps. By being nosier do you mean road noise or noise from the engine? After looking at the Honda Accord sedan, I could be happy with it, however I do like the styling better on the Altima. It's also cheaper to insure, for me anyway. I really need to go drive one as I'm not really looking for a sporty ride, I like the ride of my Buick. but may find the Altima acceptable.

Reply to
Paul

Hi Paul,

More road noise than anything else, but keep in mind this is a 2002 Altima, with already 25,000 miles on it (bought it in April of 2002). The newer ones have better sound deadening added. Insurance is definitely cheaper and I just like that factor!! Good luck on your decision.

Reply to
Peter

Paul, I am also looking to buy now and I, too, looked at Altima. Consumer Reports rates as only average it's relaiblility. One only has to look in this newsgroup and check the NHTSA web site complaint section to see why that rating correct. I am leaning toward Mazda6i now with it's 48 month/50,000 mile warranty and it's excellent reliability rating from CR. Plus the car is loaded. If you haven't already bought an Altima, look at and drive a 6i!

Reply to
nomaddude

I have owned a 3.5SE for a couple of months now.

The 4cyl is a very peppy car even in auto form, although it the engine can get noisy when pushed hard. It also has a nice soft ride, not cushy though, and it handles very well.

The v6 (3.5SE) is a sports car with four doors! It has a much firmer ride, though not harse, the engine in this thing is the best v6 I have ever driven, plenty of torque (246lbs and plenty of horses

245). I have the auto, but the v6 does come with a manual 5 speed too. This car almost has too much power.... thank god for standard traction control.

I read that it was a little loud at highways speeds but I didn't feel that way after a couple of hour long tests drives, frankly I think it's a prety quite car.

If you do alot of highway driving with the car loaded up, get the v6, passing at any speed regardless of the load is simply a point and squirt operation.

Robert

Reply to
R. MacLean