95 Max relay BUZZZZZZZ

95 Max with 282,000 km. Last month I noticed a buzz sound coming from the engine bay. When I pulled up to my garage I noticed the DRL's weren't on. I switched the headlights on and only the passenger side lit up (both low and high worked but only on that side). I popped the hood and the buzzing was coming from the relay in the passenger side relay box marked "corn lamp". I pulled, pushed and wiggled the relay, shut the car off and restarted. The buzz did not return.

It did come back intermittently over the next 3-4 weeks and last weekend it came back to stay for a couple of days. I ordered a new relay and when it came in the parts manager (a neighbor of mine) looked at me funny when I told him why I had ordered it (he wasn't there when I placed the order). The buzz had gone away by this time. Instead of replacing the relay he pulled a module out from under the windshield washer filler neck (I don't remember what the module is called) and plugged in a new one. Told me to try it for a few days and see if the buzz returned. Apparently it controls the DRL's.

It did return 2 days later so while it was buzzing I stopped at the dealership so he could hear it. He replaced the buzzing relay but it didn't stop the buzz either.

So here's the scoop. Intermittent DRL's. When the realy buzz comes, they go. If it's buzzing only the passenger headlight will work. Any other suggestions before I have to drop the car off and let the shop boys spend too many hours trying to track down the problem???

Also of interest but probably not related since I don't think the circuits share any commonality.....the clock display only works sometime. The clock is keeping time because every few days when the disply lights up the time is correct. Radio seems to have a mind of it's own for volume. Cruising along with tunes playing and suddenly the volume CRANKS....I can spin the button all I want with no effect, then it will return to normal. I'm thinking this may just be a case of dirty or worn connections inside the radio (good excuse to get an upgrade right?)

Thanks Todd '95 Black Max '71 240Z

Reply to
Todd Fortin