Timing on 95 Max SE

Hi

I have a 95 maxima SE. I recently had the timing chains and water pump replaced. Since the replacement, there is a very noticeable drop in performance of the car. My previous post on the topic here resulted in a couple of responses. One of them suggested that it could be becuase the timing is not right. (the mechanic screwed up the timing on one of the cams etc)

So I was wondering...can anyone tell me how I can check the timing? Would the ECU give some code for this?

I went back to the mechanic and he says that he will fix it for free if it was his fault. So now, I just gotta prove to him that it is in fact the timing that is messed up. Would be easy if the computer gave a readout.

Anyhow, please help if you can.

Thanks Ash

Reply to
Ash Mann

Read this:

Customer Symptom: The engine makes a rattling noise. Incident Description: The engine noise was repaired using the procedures in NTB96-086/ITB96-039a, Maxima/I30 Timing Chain Noise. The timing chain, tensioner and guide were replaced. Upon re-assembly, the timing chain tensioner was packed with petroleum jelly to ensure it held tension against the chain on startup. The cam timing was then verified by rotating the engine by hand in its normal direction of rotation, then rotated backwards to verify the timing marks realign. After engine startup, the engine developed a miss in cylinders #2 and #3. The ignition coils for these cylinders were not being triggered by the ECM. Possible Cause: The timing chain had jumped one tooth. This could affect thetiming of the cam position sensor signal. Service Procedure: Rotating the engine backwards tensions the normally slack side of the chain. This will compress the tensioner farther than normal. The petroleum jelly placed in the tensioner may have heldthe tensionerin the retracted position allowing the cam to jump. NOTE: If using petroleum jelly in the tensioner, ensure the engine does not turn backwards. Source: TECHLINE; NNA

Reply to
Mind Melt

I don't think you can get a readout on cam (valve) timing, just crank (piston and spark) timing.

A friend of mine had a twin cam SR20DE engine rebuilt and complained of no top end power. The Infiniti dealer had done the work and drove it around but said 'it felt normal'. My friend couldn't believe they weren't admitting a difference so he suggested they take a demo G20 off the lot and drive them side by side. That was when it was obvious that there was something wrong with the rebuilt motor. So the dealer agreed to tear it down and found that one of the cams were off by one tooth. Put it back together and it's been running great for the last 100k miles.

Maybe you know a friend with an A32 Maxima that you could compare to?

Reply to
Monte