98 maxima starting problem

I have a 98 maxima and it runs great except under one specific condition. If I start the car and pull it out of the garage and park it it won't restart without 60 seconds of cranking.

Basically the car is started for 10 seconds and driven out of the garage and turned off. After a couple hours when I go to pull it back in the car won't start. It just cranks and cranks. I'm guessing it's flooding. Should I keep the pedal to the floor on cranking with this problem?

Short of letting the car run a couple of minutes is there a trick I can do to make it happy?

Thanks !!!

Reply to
topdogqqq

I have the same issue, although usually it starts after 5-10 seconds of cranking. Only once did I have to floor the pedal and crank for much longer to get it to start, but it does seem to help. It doesn't bother me much, since all other times the car starts right up, and I know how to handle this one.

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

I wonder what the sweet spot is to prevention. Make sure to run the car for ate least 1 minute? Time will tell. IT's just a very quirky problem that as meticulous as the Japanese are I'm suprised they didn't find it.

Reply to
bringmewater

Its a known problem in cold weather mostly. The car's fuel injection is programmed to deliver much more fuel (higer RPM), and when you shut the engine off, the fuel is still there under pressure. Just run around the block once, and it should be fine. I don't think there is a fix for this.

Reply to
Veeffer

It's not a problem, just maintenance. Clean the throttle body and check the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. The throttle body cleaning does wonders for cold weather starts and drivability. It's easy to do the throttle body cleaning yourself. Remove all parts of the air filter box to the throttle body until you have exposed the butterfly opening. Spray throttle bottle cleaner (NOT CARBEURATOR cleaner) on all the insides around there, wipe all the black carbon away, and you're done. To do an even cleaner throttle body cleaning would be to take off the throttle body completely and clean it's inside end, the part facing into the intake manifold. But just doing the front part as I did helped significantly.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

programmed to deliver much