BOSE CD Player Error

Help! The other day, I played a CD-R in my Maxima's CD player. At one point, the disc froze up and the display showed "ERROR". I ejected it and inserted another CD (a commercial one which had previously played without any problem), but the CD player remains stuck. It will not auto-play ANY CD as of now, does pull the CD in, but then after about

2-3 seconds, the display shows "ERROR" and the CD is automatically ejected. Is my CD Player officially shot, or is there anything I might be able to do to reset it's "brain"? i.e. maybe disconnect the battery for a few seconds? (Btw, I already tried to insert CD Laser Lens Cleaner Disc, but that too would not play.)

Please offer any suggestions you may have - I'm on the road a lot, and if I can't play my CDs, I'm gonna have to give in and buy an MP3 player after all!

Reply to
mnp17

You can get the Bose repaired at

The Bose units tend to fail eventually (with the CD ERR). I had the same issue with mine. The problem with buying a new headunit, is that Bose uses low-impedance speakers with built in amps, so you need to either buy an adapter to put inline with your new headunit, or replace all the speakers and wiring when you replace the headunit. You can purchase the adapter at various places including Crutchfield.

The other option you have is to buy a replacement (used) Bose head unit off Ebay. You don't state the year of your Maxima - but for the 4th Gen Maximas, the Bose units typically sell for 80-100 bucks on Ebay.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 119k
Reply to
njmodi

You can replace your BOSE in parts. Keep your Bose head unit and replace the BOse speakers or vice versa. The PD4 unit enables you to do that. I bought the PD4 from them. With that I was able to get rid of the Bose Head unit and keep the Bose Amps/speakers. It's awesome, as I am able to keep the BOSE sound AND install an aftermarket Head unit. In fact, the system sounded better than original because the OEM BOSE HU has a not too fancy CD unit (probably 1 times oversampling etc) with limited radio features.

CD

Reply to
Codifus