Check engine light on...is this serious?

I have a 1995 Maxima GLE with 151K miles. The check engine light (yellow-orange light at bottom right end of instrument cluster) came on yesterday and I looked it up in the owner's manual and all it says is it could be related to the emissions system. The car seems to drive fine (good oil pressure, no overheating, no missing or rough idle) so I'm wondering if this is serious enough to go get fixed since I'm not really using the car that much (no commuting, etc.) and probably won't keep it beyond year's end.

Does anyone have experience with the check engine light coming on? Any ideas about what might cause it? Thanks.

Reply to
jhthurman

It could be any of about 400 things. Most are related to emissions, but some can be serious functional issues. Take it somewhere & get the code(s) read.

Usually the best advice is to go to an Autozone where they will read it for free, but 1995 is a transition year between OBD-I and OBD-II, so I'm not sure if they can do it or not. Take a look in the FAQs and Forums at maxima.org and you should find more info.

Reply to
E Meyer

Ok speaking from experience, I can tell you the check engine light on your

95 maxima is not serious. I paid $1000.00 to the dealer to have some work done, replaced two sensors, remove code, etc. Two weeks later, it was on again. They claim its emmissions now, and possibly CC, but I question that. Mine has now been on about 8 months and runs like new.

BTW, your nissan maxima is not OBII, so you will most likely for forced to go to dealer to get codes read.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Thanks for the advice...I'll get it checked.

Reply to
jhthurman

Try this:

J. Johnson

Thanks, everyone, for the quick responses...it's great to have a resource like this where you can ask questions and get answers from folks that have had experiences with these kinds of problems

Reply to
jhthurman