Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

The leather wrapped steering wheel on my 2000 Maxima looks like crap. It has worn through the leather in most places.

Question: Is the wheel underneath, should I carefully cut the leather stitching and remove the leather, the same wheel that is used in the GXE?? Looks like the same shape.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

That is what I did and my wheel looks great now. If you have time and patience and go to an autoparts store they carry a nice leather cover that comes in a little box with thread. These are not the large akward round ones that you see everywhere. This is also not the ones with little holes everywhere that wrap the black rawhide around the whole cover like you probably had on your 60's muscle car:) This is a smooth black leather cover that you run the thread through the holes and will look just like the factory in about 2 hours of work. You will need a needle,strong forearms and good eyes. The key to a flawless job is wrap tight and keep the stitching even. Pull on the thread and use other fingers from other hand to hold the cover there until you get it through the next set of holes. It will become easier as you go...good luck if you decide to do this!!

Reply to
:

So, you just removed your leather wrap, right??? An it looks fine?

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

Yes looks fine with it removed. My last one I did the leather cover and it was nice. One day if I find time I will do the same to this car.

Reply to
: