Lower control arm.......

I had my '96 Infiniti I30 looked over by the dealer last month, and one of the problems they spotted was a soon-to-be-bad right lower control arm bushing, caused by fluid leaking from the power steering pump that sits above it. I wasn't surprised, since I had the same problem with my previous car, a '93 Maxima GXE.

What did surprise me was the $219(+-) price quoted for the repair. Sounds low, since on the Maxima, the whole control arm had to be replaced. Can just the bushing be replaced on the newer Infiniti? Also, is it usually the power steering pump itself that leaks, or the fittings?

Reply to
Steve Green

Steve,

That price seems "low" to me... You are correct that the LCA is supposed to be replaced as once piece. II priced the LCAs for my 96 Maxima last year and the original nissan part was abuot 200 bucks. Are you sure that price you were quoted was not for parts only? I would expect the job to take at least an hour per side and would plan on replacing the swaybar endlinks (and endlink bushings).

I know of some folks who have replaced just the bushings and ball-joints seperately, but neither are services performed by "dealers" and you'd have to find an independent mechanic who could take on that work.

Having said that, if you can find a dealer to replace the LCA for 200 bucks, including a genuine Nissan/Infiniti part, run there and get it done ASAP :), heck get both sides done and take in a box of bagels for the service dept ;)

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi