Vibration woes !!!

I recently purchased a Maxima SE 2003 with 15k miles and immediately noticed a vibration around 60-65 mph with the original Bridgestone Potenzas. I've heard these tires are piece of junk so I asked the dealer to install new tires. They installed (and balanced) a new set of Cooper Lifeliner SLE

225/50/17. Since then the vibration continues. The alignment is ok and got tired of balancing these tires at numerous places. I noticed 2 of the rims are bent but not much. Is a minor bump on the rim enough to cause such vibration or are these cooper simply cheap stuff? I've heard that the Kumho ECSTA KH11 are good for this vehicle and won't kill your budget. Anyone with experience with either the Coopers or the Kumhos?
Reply to
MaximaOwner

It sounds like at least one of your rims is trashed. Coopers are fairly cheap tires, also... on these cars I'd stick with Michelins.

If the vibration goes away after driving the car 2-3 miles, it's the tires. If it's persistent, it's probably one of your bent rims.

Reply to
Rich

Go Back to the place that installed your tires today. They could have checked your rims to verify they are round and balanced. If one of your rims was not round, they hosed you! ie sold you product you did not need! If tread was left, they will probably sell your used Potenzas to someone else.

Hey, Potenzas are a far better tire than Coopers. I agree with the Michelin man,too. Why cheap out the tires on a Brand new Maxima? That is like wearing flip-flops to a soccer game.

Reply to
VanG

I have Kumhos on my Sorento and they are working great. I have GoodYears on my 98se Max. they also are working great.

Reply to
Dave Kind

You guys need to go over to maxima.org and read the loooooong threads about vibrations and the '04 maxima. It will get your attention, as this seems to be a systemic problem with this model. Here is just one of the threads:

Brian

  1. A slightly bent rim can cause vibration.
  2. Your old tires vibrated too.

Why not do a rotation, at least putting the suspect rim on the back. If that fixes the problem, I'd replace, rather than leave it there.

Reply to
David