2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 Executive Audio Fitting

Hi

I'm trying to fit a JVC KD-LHX501 to my 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 Executive.

I can get the unit powered, but no sound comes out the speakers. I have read that this can be caused by the JBL amp not being triggered because of the wiring. The car has JBL speakers in the rear, but I can't see an amp anywhere - I used to own a 406 Coupe which had the amp in the right rear wing.

Can anyone give me any advice? I don't really wanna go do the route of a complete rewire.

Thanks,

Darkcyde

Reply to
DarkCyde via CarKB.com

My Coupe's amp is in the LEFT rear wing, ie the passenger side. I can't see the saloon being any different ?

The JBL amp is almost certainly triggered by the REMOTE line in the ISO block - this is the same line that would trigger your electric ariel if you had one. It merely outputs 12v whilst the head-unit is powered on. Get onto Google, and get yourself some ISO pinouts - it should be easy to work out which connection is missing. The last few Kenwood units I've had, have NOT had the remote line wired into the ISO block - it was on it's own as a seperate blue wire (for connecting to Amplifiers etc.) but could be inserted into the ISO block if required.

Reply to
Nom

Ok, found it. It was in the right hand wing hidden under the SatNav CD ROM (and sorry, I did mean left wing in the coupe - d'oh).

Anyway, discovered that the blue wire on the ISO (remote/arial) wasn't connected properly - bypassed the ISO connector and it all works.

However, the headunit must be pumping out a lot more than the factory fitted one because now it's quite loud even on volume level 1, and when playing MP3 CDs there is a lot of background hiss that I never had before. I pulled all the carpet out the boot to get to the amp but can't see a gain control on it at all.

Anyone got any ideas? It's tollerable as it is, but then I'm a perfectionist so would like to sort it properly if possible! :-)

Thanks,

Darkcyde

Reply to
DarkCyde via CarKB.com

Excellent :)

Ditch the amp. Amplifying the already-amplified sound from your head unit, is always gonna sound crap (why the standard setup does this, I have NO idea - it's crazy !). Your replacement headunit is likely to have a 4x50w output (or something similar), so it's on a par with the JBL amp anyway.

Basically all you need to do, is make up some cabling to bypass the amp - ie, so the ISO block connections go directly to the speakers. Rather than rewire all the speakers, I'd concentrate on connecting the Amp's inputs, directly to it's SpeakerOutputs, completely bypassing the Amp - if you see what I mean. It should be trivial to work out which wire is which with a multimeter (the amp will be receiving 8 speaker inputs (+ and - for each of the four) and the REMOTE line, and a 12v feed, and an Earth. Use the balance and fade controls on your headunit, to direct the sound to each individual speaker in turn, so you can determine it's pair of wires. Connect these appropriate cables to the appropriate speaker wires on the output side, ignore the 12v and Remote and Earth. And voila.

Reply to
Nom

OK, so I'm now in *exactly* the same boat as you, with my Coupe !

The way I see it, we have three options.

  1. Splice the new headunit's pre-outs into a seperate ISO block, and plug this into the car - hence sending the JBL amp a line-level signal.
  2. Do some wire splicing to bypass the JBL amp altogether, so the headunit is driving the speakers directly.
  3. Connect your own amp to the headunit's pre-outs, and then wire it into the speakers.

What do you think ?

Reply to
Nom