205 1.9 GTI Engine problem

Hello all,

I have a pug 205 1.9 GTI. My problem is as follows; The throttle seems to be either on or off, by this I mean it is very difficult to drive the car smoothly; if I try and apply a small amount of throttle the car will jump foward. If I try and hold the car at a steady speed (at low speed and low rpm) the car seems to jump along like a rabbit!! Therefore I find I have to ride the clutch far too much. I know the 205 is known for being a bit lumpy when ticking over but this is problem I have is not normal. Its as if the throttle has no sensitivity...it feels like its on or off!

The wiring under the bonnet is a bit of a mess...due to some monkey installing a reconditioned engine and gearbox. A mechanic looked uinder the bonnet and said my crank sensor wire was not connected! surely the car wouldne run without the crank sensor connected??

Any help and ideas are much appreciated,

thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jon Brookbanks via CarKB.com

Hi,

Worthes a check of throttle sensor position, IMO. IIRC, should be on the throttle body, but I haven't seen GTis for a while. Hint : the Bosch L-Jetronic is an analog fuel injection system fit to many cars between early '80s and mid-'90s. 205GTi, 505GTi, 405SRi are the most common at Pug's. This system only knows 3 modes which are commanded by the throttle : idle (idle sensor active), linear (idle & WOT sensors inactive) and WOT (Wide Opened Throttle, WOT switch active).

May well be your problem !

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Or the throttle cable is too tight. You need a certain amount of slack in the cable before it winds round the throttle drum. Check and adjust if necessary.

Reply to
Nigel

Hi,

I may agree, but IMO it wouldn't idle then - would mean that pedal off the engine runs in "linear" mode, this involving a high idle. But it also worthes a check.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I didn't mean as tight as that, where it holds the idle too high. Just tight enough to affect the throttle sensitivity, say in stop start traffic. Quite common on a 1.9 rather than a 1.6.

Reply to
Nigel

Practical Classics magazine run some of these cars and have had the same problem, one good fix is to have a 'Superchips' upgrade to the ECU, it also helps to have the air mass meter cleaned and the throttle potentiometer cleaned or renewed.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy