Pug 205 GTi Noisy engine

Hi Folks Hope someone can help. I have a Pug 205 GTi that I bought a month or so ago for very little money. It sounded fine on the way down but in the last couple of weeks it has started to sound like a tractor! It sounds like an engine that is low on oil, you know the sound!! But the oil level is about three quarters full on the dipstick and I'm reluctant to top it up as I don't know what oil the previous owner used. The oil is clean though. I will do an oil and filter change on it but if this doesn't clear the noise then is there anything else it could be? Noisy tappets wouldn't be this loud would they? The only other thing I can think of is it's the exhaust blowing from the header pipes but it's difficult to tell as it only makes the horrible noise when the engine is under any kind of load, ie, when you put ur foot down a little when cruising, it barely makes the noise when at idle or when reving it at standstill. Many thanks for any responses.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Watkins

sounds like exh manifold leaking.

Reply to
Neil

I hope it's not main bearings. If it's not the exhaust, it might be from what you say. It might be worth having an oil pressure check done. But first, shove a potato up the exhaust pipe and see if the gases emit somewhere else.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Thrust bearings breaking up?? Check for sideways movement of crank whilst assistance operates clutch. I've seen some where the shims have dropped into the sump, and the throws of the crank were hitting the webs in the block!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Were the Y and O so onerous to type given the length of the rest of the post?

foot down a little when cruising, it barely makes the noise when at idle

Big end bearing failure is common on this engine and generally manifests most when under load. Common sense would indicate you eliminate blowing exhausts first if you have no idea what sounds different engine faults make.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker