406 97 2.1 td Needs new pretensioner!!

Hi all, I've recently had a problem with the auxillary drive belt on my 406. It keeps coming loose and sounds terrible. It's apparent that it needs a new pretensioner. Peugeot quote £165 for parts and £270!!!! for labour. Can anyone tell me if it's worth trying to do this myself, how hard it is and if you think an independent garage will do it cheaper? Seems very expensive for what the Haynes describe as 3 spanners!!!! lol Regards Sy

Reply to
energizer

It's dead easy to do, you will need a good trolley jack and a plank of wood though as you will probably have to remove the engine mount. Getting the tensioner back in is a pain in the nuts, so I drilled a hole in the side of mine using a cobalt drill bit and stuck a small precision screwdriver blade in it to act as a lock to take off the tension off the spring until the belt and tensioner where all in place. You will get a pre-tensioner and new cambelt from GSF car parts I think, not that expensive.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I've got the same car and engine. Also, I had to have the tensioner changed. I remember the part being expensive, but can't remember the labour charge at my local garage costing a lot. I'm sure I'd have remembered if it was over £100. So if I were you, I'd leave Peugeot well alone. My local garage charged me £130 to replace my timing belt, so to change the tensioner would've been less than that I'm sure. either way, a lot less than Peugeot,

Cheers Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Hi,

That's what my mechanic does now with Pugs' tensionner. Far easier to fit, and he said me that was as standard on Renault parts. It doesn't convince me, Renault cars are still a pile of crap :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The new Renault Laguna Diesel is the only diesel car I have been told to stay away from, it actually destroys itself due to the EGR valce apparantly.

Can anybody confirm this?

I have never heard of anything so ridiculus as this, do renault not test there engines before they sell them?

Andy

Reply to
akd

Yeah, probably as much as Peugeot seem to!!

Reply to
nigel

Hi,

Errr, it seems it's the case.

No clue, but usual : 1.6 16V burning coil packs (replacement part seems reliable though), 1.9DTi breaking timing belts, DCis wearing turbochargers fast like hell... Sure I'll never buy a Renault.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi

Its a known fact in the trade if the EGR valve fails on the DCI Lagunas then if your very very lucky you get away with just a blown turbo charger, But normally its whole new engine time.

Avoid the Laguna II at all costs!

One of the reps at my work had one as his company car.

In 3 years from new it was towed in to the Renault dealer 7 times, The other 12 times he managed to drive it there.

Work has banned us from having any new Renault company cars.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Cheers guys, As usual, a great help. I will bypass the peugeot option with great pleasure!! Kind regards Simon

Reply to
energizer

Oh, dear....

What can you say to that.