406 2.1 td 97(not hdi)

Hi all, I've got a potential expensive problem with my accessory belt. A few months ago it snapped! So I had it fixed and thought that was that. Only two months later it split so I got another garage to replace it. It's a large belt for the ps, alt etc. The thing is...it started to sound like crap. I took it back to the garage and they said it was the auto tensioner making it difficult to tighten properly and it was flapping about!!! Does anyone know if that's due to them fitting it badly as b4 this all happened it never made a sound! The garage said there's nothing wrong with my components. It's making my car sound embarrassingly noisey. A horrible sound that I dont want spend £40 on every 6weeks.

Kind regards Simon

Reply to
energizer

I have the same engine on a 1998 406. A while back, I had to have the belt changed, and shortly after, I got what sounds like the same noise. I took the car to the garage and they said the tensioner had gone. I picked up a new tensioner from the dealer and took it to my local garage and they showed me the two pats together (old one and new). You could push the old one together by hand, albeit still quite tough, but the new one was solid. After fitting, the problem was solved. So I think you've got the same problem don't know if that's good or bad news for you,

Cheers Neil

Reply to
Neil D

I'm not sure what sort of tensioner is fitted to that engine, but if it is an auto type then you need to make sure that it is working correctly, and if there is any doubt, change it. And the jockey wheel too. And are you using a good quality belt?

Reply to
Nigel

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for that. Now I know you've had the problem, I'll get a new tensioner. It's the auto typre so I'll check out the prices for this. I'm not afraid to get under the car so if it's straight forward to do I'll do it myself!!! Or maybe not! :)

Thanks very much for yr help

Reply to
energizer