406 HDi 2.0 Litre Automatic Saloon

What a great idea for a car. Great MPG, no hassle with changing gear (a Godsend when travelling through towns and in queues for most of the day).

---However---

I have a rattly glovebox, a "clunking" noise from somewhere near the driver's door when starting off or stopping (when the fuel pump engages and disengages), a squeaky rear passenger-side door when cornering, a vibration from the driver's door when on a rough (all motorways in England) road at speed, and a buzzing from the centre panel when travelling.

Also, the gearbox seems funny when cold, but I'm putting that down to the fact that the oil in the automatic box hasn't thinned up enough to allow for easy shifting first thing in the morning.

Would someone please advise whether I should take the car back to the dealer re. the rattles and squeaks, I have 2 years' balance of 3-year warranty remaining.

And is this normal behaviour for an auto box in the morning?

Am I being excessively fussy?

Is it all (including rattles) something I could or should fix myself?

Best regards and many thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Be as fussy as you like, you don't buy a new car for rattled and niggles, you buy a 2nd hand car for that, or a Fiat :). Take it back to the dealer as long as its under warrenty.

Reply to
Dan405

I have a 2.2 HDI estate, 10 months old 20,000 miles, no squeeks or rattles (yet, keeping fingures crossed). Take yours back and get it sorted.

Reply to
Frank D

retighten the screws stops the rattling, realign the door henges, and take apart and re fit the center console and re fit

check the oil level!

you could ask the dealer about the rattles an funny gear box

Reply to
Marc

Reply to
Michael Shaw

The amazing thing is that I had to have the gearbox replaced within 2 weeks of getting the car - and everything seemed fine for a while.

Do these dratted auto boxes go wrong for a pastime? I've seen tons of posts about 206, 306 and 307s and their gearbox problems - very similar to mine, strangely enough!

I do hope I won't have to get the box changed again!

Where do I look to check the automatic gearbox oil level?

Is it worth getting the Haynes manual for this car?

Anyway, I'm off to another Peugeot garage to get this checked out tomorrow (along with the noises) - they chuckled at me when I told them which garage I bought the car from.

Not too encouraging.

The new garage may know what they're doing, given their reaction though...

Are there normally such differences in standard between dealership garages? Don't they have to meet certain standards of service?

Reply to
Steve