406 2.0 HDi Turbo Prob

Hi there

Got a 406 HDi exec on a 'T' (Facelift). Been getting some problems with the turbo and need some advice. When driving, if you increase throttle too far the car sounds almost asthmatic, really noisy. Seems underpowered too, then after a few miles of this, the EML lights up and the turbo cuts out completely. From then on, the car drives like a 1.0L Diesel HGV, no power at all. Turn off and leave it a while, then back to square one.

Not really up on diesels so any advice gladly received.

Cheers

Reply to
Addie

Either you have a collapsing turbo pipe upstream of the turbo which is sucking flat under boost, though if this were the case you would get alot of black smoke from the exhaust, OR more likely, you have either a collaspsed cat or collapsed rear box which is blocking the exhaust.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

OK

Will have a look at the pipe upstream as It has a new exhaust complete. That was fitted about a month ago.

Cheers

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
Addie

..... Also,

There is a bit of smoke when you accelerate whilst its gasp> OK

Reply to
Addie

Check the turbo pipe, but I would be very wary of the new exhaust- especially if it is of the cheap'n'nasty kwik-fit type..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Will do,

Have to go and have a look lunchtime.... boss might not be too happy if I go and pop the bonnet now!! lol

Any quick way to get to this or is it just a case of tak> > OK

Reply to
Addie

Any pipe thats squashed or oil contaminated & soft is liable to suck flat.

Reply to
Tim..

OK....

Had a good look around. Cant see any obvious squashed pipes. What I have noticed is that when runn> > Will do,

Reply to
Addie

Depending on how much it expands, that could be normal and just a sign of the turbo boosting.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Hi

Problem sorted. The small 2inch rubber pipe that runs from the bottom of the turbo to the plastic pipe that joins the bottom of the intercooler had a lovely one inch split along itys length. Changed that and bingo... a proper HDi!! :-)

I assume that the failing exhaust had caused the split in the first place. Thanks all for the input

Reply to
Addie