Intermitent starting problem 306 td

I have a 1998 306 turbo diesel and not had any problems with it until now. The problem occurs upon starting the vehicle. I wait for the glow plug warming lights to go off, turn the ignition key, the engine turns over but nothing else happens.

This doesn't occur every time and I have already taken it to one garage that could not find the problem, their solution was to go to a peugeot garage and I don't really like the =A3=A3=A3 sound of that.

Starter motor is fairly new but I assume the car would not turn over at all if this was fault.

I would be much obliged if anyone has any suggestions before I start writing a blank cheque to the french nation!=20

Cheers

Reply to
garetherichards

Check that deisel is getting to the pistons. also check your filter it might need replaceing as it might have so much muck round it..

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

Had exactly the same problem, my fix was:

New starter New glow plugs

1 x bottle of redex diesel treatment

Car now starts on first turn of the key, I always leave the plugs to heat a little more after the light goes off (The relay doesnt cut out for a good

10s after the light goes out)

regards

This doesn't occur every time and I have already taken it to one garage that could not find the problem, their solution was to go to a peugeot garage and I don't really like the £££ sound of that.

Starter motor is fairly new but I assume the car would not turn over at all if this was fault.

I would be much obliged if anyone has any suggestions before I start writing a blank cheque to the french nation!

Cheers

Reply to
Dave George

This doesn't occur every time and I have already taken it to one garage that could not find the problem, their solution was to go to a peugeot garage and I don't really like the £££ sound of that.

Starter motor is fairly new but I assume the car would not turn over at all if this was fault.

I would be much obliged if anyone has any suggestions before I start writing a blank cheque to the french nation!

Cheers

If engine is turning over OK, then battery and starter are probably OK. You might have an air leak in the fuel supply, on a diesel, the supply pipe is under suction from the pump, so an air leak will draw air into the system, and this in turn will prevent starting. Also check that the glow plugs are working and getting power. It is possible that the glow plug supply relay has packed up. This could possibly be an intermittant fault. The only way to check this is with a voltmeter on the glow plug terminals. The light will come on regardless of power actually getting to the plugs.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Dave George

Yes diesels do require a lot more effort to turn over. However, he did say that the starter motor was fairly new. They are fairly reliable items normally, so I would, in this case, look elsewhere first. If the engine needs to be spun that quickly to start, then there is probably an underlying reason why it is a poor starter. My money at the mmoment would be on the glow plug system, including the relay. Wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong though.

Reply to
Brian

I might add that the injector cleaner has made a world of difference to mine all round so worth a try too.

David

Reply to
Dave George

Reply to