1962 question: what color is your air cleaner?

Ok, I have two air cleaners for my 1962 Tempest. One is Pontiac blue, and the other is chassis black. Every other air cleaner I've ever seen, in person or in pictures, is black.

So: did air cleaners ever come in a different color? I know the trend right now is to paint just about everything under the hood black (as Pontiac started doing in 1963), but what about way back when?

Erik

Reply to
Erik Y. Adams

I have two 1963 Lemans and they are both BLACK, they are factory.. I just went to eBaymotors and typed 1961 Pontiac in and there was a CAT that had a black breather..I guess someone painted the one you have pontiac blue

Reply to
Dennis Putnam

Got an air cleaner in the garage from a 64 LeSabre 300 - its black.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

The air cleaner,along with inner fender panels,rad- iator support, etc should be painted a 60 degree, or semi gloss chassis black.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

The air cleaner, radiator support, and other bits, yes. However, inner fender liners (and firewalls) were not painted black until 1963 - my car is a 1962, assembled in late 1961.

I've read that Pontiac didn't start coating everything black until January 1963 - implying that if you have an early production 1963 (built in late 1962) its fender liners and firewall should be the body color, just like earlier models.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Y. Adams

I'm NO expert here, but I know I've seen blue air cleaners on Pontiacs myself. My dad's '63 is black, IIRC, but as you said, that's a different deal. Is there a 61-62 expert who can definitively put this one to rest?

Reply to
Joseph Roche