97 Grand Prix GTP Supercharger noise

Hi,

Usually I can isolate and tell where noise is coming from, either just by listening, or with a screw driver or scope held up to my ear. But I can't decide if this noise is the supercharger itself or the idler pulley. I know the idler pulley makes a "cracking" sound when I pry it back and forth compressing the spring a bit... but that would be noise only when the idler moves. This noise sounds sort of like one of the belt(s), but not quiet the tone/color I am used to with old V-Belts. Sometimes, It takes about one to two minutes before the noise starts, sometimes it starts as soon as I start the engine, and sometimes it stops making a noise for no reason.

I have changed the belts regularly but not since this noise started. I have never had any work performed on the engine, s/c, carb, or a/c. Changed a thermostat-- that is about it; 108K miles. Is there anything to pulling the s/c off and looking around? Is it basically just the s/c and a gasket? What would be the advantage, if any, of adding an after market s/c? Someone mentioned that to me once. Can the s/c cause me to end up roadside, or is it purely for extra power?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
gifer

check

for replacement parts for SC's.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,511 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Reply to
Harry Face

Hey Harry Face... that link is dead... I'll try different spellings.

Harryface ?Ø

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,511 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Reply to
gifer

sounds like shaft bearings are going gifer...have replaced many a newer (94 and up) assembly for the noise..usually get a rebuilt 1 with a warranty. And yes..if it goes it can leave you stranded.

Reply to
autotek27

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

gifer