Disabling a Grand AM

My wife is trying to recover from a prolonged illness and her 2000 Grand AM will be sitting in the driveway unattended as I am at work all day.

What is the best way to keep someone from starting it and driving away?

I'm already bracing up for the smart-a__ answers but I'd still like a sensible reply.

Thanks.

Reply to
Drumstick

All kinds of things can be disabled ,but that won't discourage a guy with a tow truck..

Take a wire off going to the starter.

Of course some thieves will destroy an interior if the figure somethings have been disabled.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,450 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

you can pull the ignition fuse

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Take the battery out, or you can always pull the fuse going to the ECM. I used to pull fuel injector fuses when we went on vacation. Now none of my cars are worth stealing.

Reply to
Joe

preserve your tires. (Hope that you have wheel lock nuts.)

All this should cost you around 100 dollars

Or simply remove the driver seats. :)

Paul

Reply to
none

Move to a better neigherhood!

Reply to
Art

A picture of Nicolas Cage comes to mind sitting on a milk crate in his Camaro after his seats got stolen (forgot which movie it is...and even if it's Nicolas Cage).

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Trade down for a rust bucket, they won't that.

Reply to
Harry Matt

Not to worry - I will send my little Peppers over - 15 lb pom cross but she thinks she is a pit bull. She takes guarding everything very seriously! Salary - one pigs ear daily :-)

Reply to
Jan

the custume seems to be to put it up on 4 jack stands, remove the battery and put it under your kitchen sink. and buy it a cover. if this dont work, completly remove the starter motor and hide it.

Reply to
R F

Put a sign in the window or driver seat saying you disabled the car. Wouldn't help a lot if that's all you do, but I found out that people believe those signs if you take some other action like putting your car on blocks, have it covered, block it in and more. Otherwise: get a hook in your driveway and chain up your car, make sure people can see the chain (or write in on the note for the prospective thief and he'll check it out, think your paranoia and move to the next driveway)

Reply to
Baudolino

If you live in Canada you can try hiding it, by burying it in snow. Noboy likes to clean snow off a car.

Reply to
Snowhite

So uuhh... where is the ECM fuse? I didn't see it listed in either fuse panel, drivers' or passenger.

Reply to
Drumstick

PCM Ignition

Reply to
98 Camaro

Would be a good idea to pull the battery and put a trickle charger on it as the parasitic drain will kill it after a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan