Pontiac engine in a 69 Chevy truck?

I have an older 69 1/4 ton chevy truck with a '76 chevy 350 and a TH350 in it. The motor just became a boat anchor for me and it needs replacement. I have a pontiac 455 and a TH400 sitting in my garage, and I am wondering what I have to do put that in the truck. Since I have the motor and tranny, I am wondering what would fabrication would be needed to get it in there. Also if you have any pointers to "kits" or mounts it would be great.

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
andrew.morris

Hmm.. I know nothing about a '69 model Chevy truck, but this would be a super simple swap on any later model Chevy vehicle.

Example:

I pulled a Pontiac 400 from a buddy's '76 Firebird. In the same garage, I had the engine out of my 1984 Firebird. Out of general curiosity, I dropped the Pontiac engine (w/TH400) into the '84 Firebird (came with a Chevy 305) and it sat right down on the mounts. No problems. The hood wouldn't close and I'd hate to have to change the plugs, but it fit right in.

So, what I'm wondering is, what are the existing mounts in the truck? I used to work on a '67 C60 wrecker with a 350 with mounts on the front of the block. That would be more complicated. But, it might be as simple as finding the engine-side mounts for a late 70's Firebird and putting it all in.

Of course, the crossmember will have to be 'adjusted' to fit the longer TH400. The TH400 output shaft is larger and the driveshaft will be too long. No big deal.

Anyways, it could be a really easy swapand a light truck with Pontiac

455 torque would be crazy. Get ready to spend a fortune on rear tires!

-rev

snipped-for-privacy@w> I have an older 69 1/4 ton chevy truck with a '76 chevy 350 and a TH350

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light