Key fob buttons query

I've just recently acquired a 1995 Rover 820 (from a dealer). The key fob has a two-button device on it, but has no batteries in it. I assume it's for remote central locking and immobiliser? One button has embossed dots on it the other is plain. Can someone confirm what each is for, and before I get the batteries, offer any tips for usage. Does one button operate the central locking AND alarm, and the other the immobiliser (not even sure how an immobiliser works)?

TIA, Paul A

Reply to
Paul A

Yeah, the embossed button activates hte alarm/imobiliser and the smooth one will deactivate it. You may need to get a Rover dealer to reset the system when you want a new battery put in the fob though.. unless someone here can tell you how to reset it.

Heckler ²°°³

Many thanks for the responses here and by email regarding what each button's for. I suspected that I might not get away with just putting new batteries in and away I go -- as Heckler says, I may need to get (something..) reset first. Anyone else add to this? Going to the dealer and paying out money just because the fob battery needs replacing seems a good little earner for Rover dealers?

TIA, Paul A

Reply to
Paul A

Hi all

I've been following this thread with some interest, as I have been unable to figure my fob's buttons.

I too have the two buttons, the plain one locks all the doors except the drivers, the bumpy one turns a light on the keyhole (on steering column) off and on (I guess this must be the immobilser) and activates the alarm.

Given the problem of not locking the drivers door I use the key which locks all doors.

why should the drivers door remain unlocked? any thoughts??

dave

Reply to
Dave Rees

When the batteries ran out in mine, I just put new ones in and it worked without needing to be reset. As I said, this is a 600, though.

I'd just try it - the batteries should only be around the £5 mark. Try buying then from watch or camera shops or the equivalent of Tandy's (who went bust a few years ago, I believe).

Ade

Reply to
Adrian

Use the Lumpy button to lock the doors, and set the alarm. Once in this state, use the Plain button to unlock the doors, and turn off the alarm.

Whatever the plain button does when the doors are already unlocked, is irrelevent - you'd never press the button at this time.

Reply to
Nom

I'm surprised that no-one has asked this question...

"Is the car running without the need for you to press any buttons on the fob?"

If so then the dealer must have had the alarm/immobiliser deactivated or bypassed or the previous owner did this at some point.

If not then how did you get the car home from the dealership?

Curious...

Cotku

Reply to
Cotku

The fob had no batteries in it, so has not been used by me. Have now fitted batteries but although the fob lens does light-up when pressed, nothing happens when pointed at the car. I guess, as a previous poster suggested, it needs the Rover dealer to reset whatever.

Paul A

Reply to
Paul A

Er, it's prolly disabled because it's broken ! The previous owner is hardly gonna disable the remote locking if it all works fine :)

Reply to
Nom