Rover '96 214i Head Gasket (yet again!)

I have just replaced the head gasket for the second time.

(85k from new, but only got 7k out of the fix. Cut too many corners!)

Confidence levels have dropped right off this time round though.

The simple question is this... what is the consequence of being a tooth or more out on the timing belt. If I have done it wrong and then attempt a restart will I find things going pop?

Cheers

despair

If your going to accept a tooth or more out on the valve timing then expect disaster. You can't cut corners on things like this.

Reply to
Doc

The only corner cutting on the first time I refered to was as follows...

a) Had a cambelt with only 6k on so didnt change that.

b) Didnt have the head skimmed as it wasnt obviously out of true.

Think it was more paranoia than anything driving my query as I had never attempted anything this ambitious before.

The good news? Engine runs! Hurrah! Hopefully I shall get more miles out of it this time.

Reply to
despair

Not obviously perhaps (if you mean visibly) but when my gasket blew the head was subjected to a technical test for flatness and microcracks.

I'll get rid of mine if the gasket blows again!

Reply to
Mr Greenstone

So long as you checked the head with feeler guage and straight edge I don't think you were cutting corners. Did you clean the surfaces before fitting the head and use new stretch bolts?

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish