88 900S noisy fuel pump

The fuel pump in my gf's 900S recently got a lot more noisy, this mostly happens when the tank is low on fuel. What sort of arrangement does this car have? I'm familiar with Volvo's setup of a small in-tank pump with a larger main pump down under the car, haven't looked at the Saab yet. Is there a rubber hose inside the tank that may have deteriorated or is the pump likely shot? I assume I can access it from somewhere inside the back of the car?

Reply to
James Sweet

There is only one pump located inside the tank. It is accessible from the trunk. Lift the carpet and you'll se a round metallic plate with a surrounding rubber gasket. Remove the plate and you'll see the electrical wiring and the fuel line. After removing these the pump can be removed. I have never tried to repair a failing pump, they are not too expensive, especially not on your local scrappy if they happen to have one.

You can also try running the pump without the engine running. Try to find the fump relay (or is it the fuse, have only done it on 9000 the last years?), remove it and connect a cable from a permanent 12V line to the contact that goes to the pump. I have a set of three metre wires with flat pin connectors in one end and a switch at the other end which allows you to operate the pump even if you are in the trunk or somewhere else where you want to disconnect the fuel lines to empty the tank.

Reply to
th

Interesting, well I just looked online and one place I've bought a lot of reasonably priced Volvo stuff from lists there being both a main and pre pump, with the main pump priced at nearly $400, ouch! Hopefully it's not the pump itself, but if it is I've seen a few 900's here and there at local yards.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, there are two pumps but they are together as one unit. Those pumps do make a bit of noise - and it is louder when tank is low on fuel. They are easy to change out but you will need a flexible ratchet extension (the spring type things) to make the job less of a pain. I go with the used on also as they are usually $25-$60 at the boneyard. One more tip - NO SMOKING AND NO SPARKS OR OPEN FLAMES WHEN DOING THIS JOB!

Cheers!

Reply to
saabturbo

They've always made some noise but something is definitly amiss, the noise increased dramatically rather suddenly just a couple weeks ago, it sounds like one of those noisy little 12v air compressors is running in the luggage compartment. I plan to pull the pump next weekend to have a look at it. I can get used pumps for $14 but there's always the chance that they'll be just as bad and require yanking it out again.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's the same setup the Saab has. You're in your "warning period".

The secondary pump would be my suspect, but I've never needed to replace one so I can't tell you where it is.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Are you really sure? I looked at the description and circuit diagrams of the LH2.4 fuel injection system for my old '92 9000 where there is only the pump in the tank. I'm pretty certain that the 900 had the same concept.

-- th

Reply to
th

Pretty sure but not absolutely sure. James, what year was that? I can look it up on the parts fiche for sure.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Found this link which gives a similar description to that in the workshop manual I have for the 9000 (unfortunately I gave away the manual pages with the last 900 I had):

th

'88, says it in the title of the message. I'm hoping to have a chance to dig in this weekend and have a look for myself, then I'll know for sure.

Reply to
James Sweet
88s have a pump main pump with a supply pump attached. Installation position and spec vary but in either case the whole thing's in the tank. Don't have to drain the tank but at least low fuel is a good idea. Again - no smoking or naked lights. Bentley (8V) 234-8,9,10 might be helpful if you have access to it.
Reply to
hippo
88s have a pump main pump with a supply pump attached. Installation position and spec vary but in either case the whole thing's in the tank. Don't have to drain the tank but at least low fuel is a good idea. Again - no smoking or naked lights. Bentley (8V) 234-8,9,10 might be helpful if you have access to it. Noisier with v low fuel is normal but the changeshould be from a quietish hum to a few angry bees type level - not a cacophony!
Reply to
hippo