Changing a headlight for a saab

my affinity has always been in computers. as result my basic car comprehension has suffered. im trying to change out the bulb on my 99

9-3 saab, and i can't for the life of me figure out how to actually pull the bulb to change it. unfortunately i seem to be the only one with this problem, because i can't find anything on this topic anywhere on the net. please help...
Reply to
Brx

It's in the manual. Same for every car... but no one looks there. There's a ring you have to turn to release the assembly from the light, then a metal clip that unsnaps to release the bulb. The wires are removed by sliding the red clip about 5mm out and then gently wiggling off. You can use a screwdriver to help remove the wires but if this is your first time with a Saab connector, go slow until you learn how they work.

Don't touch the business end of the new bulb at any time - hold it only by the base.

Reply to
- Bob -

It is a pain in the butt because the view is obstructed. I used my wife's make up mirror to look at the place where it is supposed to go. Once you see it you will figure out how it works.

Reply to
saab_aka

i too am more of a computer person than a car person. on my NG900SE, i decided it would be a good idea to put in some silverstar bulbs. my foglights were burnt out, as well as my rear fog lights (come on, really...) so i did all my external lights at once. not as easy as you would think... i had the majority of the front end off to do the headlights and foglamps. changing the oil is nothing in a saab, but light bulbs? forget it...

make sure, when removing the saab electrical connectors, to start by pushing on the back end of the red (or black in some cases) tab. this way you will avoid breaking the small locking tab. once the red tab is "unlocked" the connector will start to slide out. while it is sliding, the tab will continue to move to the side. BE CAREFUL! replacement connectors run more than $10 EACH. (i know from experience...)

Reply to
Paul

It's awkward, but the operations manual explains it quite well. The little metal latch that hold the bulb in place feels like it'll break off anytime. The trick is to get the bulb in the right way (it has three indents, and then snap the latch back into position.

It'd be easier if there was more room in there, you have to do it all by feel.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

If you want to learn how it all works, you can pull the headlight out as a complete assembly by removing four screws - and the driver is in the truck waiting for you. Then you can see how it works and it's easy if you ever have to do it again.

Reply to
- Bob -